[SOLVED] Intermittent BSOD w/ the same error code. Help!

Dec 12, 2021
Hello all,

First off, here's the specs:

• i9 10900k @3.7GHz
  • RTX 3080
  • ROG Maximus XII Hero
  • 32 GB DDR4 RAM
Problem: Recently, my PC started BSODing on me. It doesn't happen often, typically. Once it started, it happened around 1-2 times a day....then I tried a few fixes (more on that shortly) and I THOUGHT I fixed it since it didn't happen at all for 3 days (during which I gamed, worked, used VR, watched Netflix etc.). Then today it started again...three times already this afternoon alone. Always the same error codes. Either

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
or
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (what failed: Ndu.sys)

Things I've tried to troubleshoot:

• rename/replace Ndu.sys.
  • run sfc/scannow.
  • update BIOS.
  • update ALL drivers.
  • clean out case, especially around my PSU.
  • run windows built in memory troubleshooting software. (didn't flag any errors)
  • uninstall and reinstall network adapters. (reset network) <---- this is the latest thing I've tried; no crashes yet.
  • disable fast startup.
  • disabled hardware acceleration in firefox (thought this may be the culprit)
  • uninstall Malwarebytes.
  • ran intel processor diagnostic tool. no issues.
  • a handful of other things, I'm sure, that I'm forgetting.
I have exhausted all solutions I can think of. The last step would be a fresh install of Windows. So my questions are:
1.) Does a fresh install of Windows seem like a feasible solution? Would this fix the issue.
2.) Is there anything I've missed to try?
3.) Could this be hardware related? Are there software tests I can run to check my PSU/mobo?

The fact that this could go days without happeneing and then happen 2-3 times within an hour seems crazy to me. Any advice would be helpful because this has been causing me a great deal of anxiety this past week.

Thanks in advance and have a wonderful Holiday,

- Sele

Last edited:
Solution
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

what are specs of PC?
No wifi dongles?

ndu.sys is network usage...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder

what are specs of PC?
No wifi dongles?

ndu.sys is network usage monitor so
uninstall and reinstall network adapters. (reset network) <---- this is the latest thing I've tried; no crashes yet.
would have been what I would have suggested. Most times I see ndu its LAN drivers.

Are there software tests I can run to check my PSU/mobo?
no, although occt claims to test PSU. No real tests for Motherboard, you test everything else and use a process of elimination. If everything else checks out... normally I don't suggest guessing like this and would suggest a repair store who have spares they know work, that can be swapped in for testing purposes.

Solution
Dec 12, 2021

what are specs of PC?
No wifi dongles?

ndu.sys is network usage monitor so

would have been what I would have suggested. Most times I see ndu its LAN drivers.

no, although occt claims to test PSU. No real tests for Motherboard, you test everything else and use a process of elimination. If everything else checks out... normally I don't suggest guessing like this and would suggest a repair store who have spares they know work, that can be swapped in for testing purposes.

Hello! Just followed your instructions and am set up to post dump next time I get a BSOD. Thanks!

In answer to your questions:
  • No wifi dongles, built in wifi on the Maximus Hero XII mobo
  • specs are in my first post at the top, but the ram is T-FORCE XTREEM 4000MHZ 2x8GB x2, the nvme is samsung 970 EVO plus, and the psu is an NZXT C1000 gold.

To ask though, in your opinion, do you think it's a hardware issue? What are your initial gut feelings on what the issue could be?

Will update if/when I get a bsod with the dump result. Thanks! :)

- Sele

Dec 12, 2021
Did you run this and see if the newest LAN/WIFI drivers on Asus site are in fact the newest - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

My 1st reaction was LAN drivers. Sort of still there until I have seen results of dumps. I don't like guessing.

Yeah ran that, and it said that all Intel drivers were up to date. Weird thing though: if I go to my mobo manufacturer's website, it lists newer drivers (i.e. my ethernet driver is dated 6/2021 and it's stated as the most up to date, but the asus site has one "Intel Gigabyte Ethernet Driver" dated for like, 10/21.....so no idea what that discrepancy means)

Dec 12, 2021
Just an update:

2 days and no crashes since reseting my network adapter, so that's good news. I've been running stress tests using OCCT (vram, cpu, power tests etc.). Thinking it may be fixed and it was the network adapter all along. I'm HOPING that since the stress tests didnt flag any errors nor did it lead to any crashes, that I can rule out potential hardware issues if it ISN'T fixed.

- Sele