[SOLVED] Intermittent code 55 asrock z270

creab47

Commendable
Jul 9, 2018
Hi all,

I appreciate any input here. I have 4 sticks of G.Skill F4-3200C16D-32GTRZ installed on asrock taichi Z270. When I upgraded my ram I had no issues with booting or any normal activities including gaming. OC worked fine. I have recently begun to encounter this error 55 code when trying to boot. I understand that this is for memory not detected. I can eventually post by attempting the soft boot 2-5 times. All sticks pass memtest86 and all slots on the mobo register in bios. The ram I am using does not appear to be on the approved listing for memory, however pc park picker shows no compatibility issues. I am not sure why I would be getting stopped on a cold boot, but a soft boot runs the system fine. I have now noticed that the XMP profile will not load the ram up to 3200, system keeps it at 2133 even when speed and timings are changed manually in bios. I recently ran smart driver care for the first time could that have something to do with it? Do I need a new ram that is strictly from the approved mobo list? Is there a ghost in the system? Are any voltages incorrect?

Parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VM3hLP

Thank you for any help.

-Zez

Solution
FIRST, make sure you have the MOST up to date BIOS version installed. I cannot emphasize this enough. With memory issues, it is IMPERATIVE that you are up to date on the BIOS firmware. Make sure of this first.

Second, what PCPP shows or doesn't show is meaningless, almost entirely. The ONLY thing it shows is PHYSICAL compatibility, meaning either DDR3 or DDR4 that will physically fit the slot for a given generation of motherboard. It is in NO WAY meant to express "compatibility" with any given motherboard MODEL or CPU, although in some few cases you MIGHT see some memory modules not displayed due to incompatibility with a given CPU but it is unlikely on PCPP. PCPP compatibility is ONLY to determine that it is the right TYPE of memory...
FIRST, make sure you have the MOST up to date BIOS version installed. I cannot emphasize this enough. With memory issues, it is IMPERATIVE that you are up to date on the BIOS firmware. Make sure of this first.

Second, what PCPP shows or doesn't show is meaningless, almost entirely. The ONLY thing it shows is PHYSICAL compatibility, meaning either DDR3 or DDR4 that will physically fit the slot for a given generation of motherboard. It is in NO WAY meant to express "compatibility" with any given motherboard MODEL or CPU, although in some few cases you MIGHT see some memory modules not displayed due to incompatibility with a given CPU but it is unlikely on PCPP. PCPP compatibility is ONLY to determine that it is the right TYPE of memory, not that it is a model that is validated as compatible with your exact hardware configuration.

For that, you NEED to go to the memory manufacturers website and use their tool (G.Skill memory configurator, Corsair memory finder, Crucial memory advisor, etc.), which I am only aware of those three having a compatibility tool that offers actual validation verification on a board by board model basis. Beyond that you will be limited to the QVL list for the motherboard, which is only a small sampling of what is actually likely to work on any given board. For these reasons I tend to stay with those three memory manufacturers products (Not to mention because they are also the best in terms of quality, reliability and reputation) when selecting memory so I can validate compatibility prior to purchase and not waste a lot of time wondering if the memory I have is compatible or not.

The bigger issue, which is what many users run into, is that any time you add memory that did not come from the same kit, having been factory tested for compatibility, you are GREATLY increasing the probability that at some point (Whether immediately or at some later date) you will have compatibility issues between the separate kits and sticks, even if they are the exact same model.

Please read this for further clarification on that point:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-ram-compatibility.3210050/#post-19785792

That however is not likely (Although still possible, as some incompatible sticks within the kit occasionally make it through the brief testing validations. It happens, what can I say, same as other types of faulty products sometimes make it through the quality assurance process) since your memory seems to have all come in a single kit. Your problem MIGHT be the fact that that memory kit is NOT shown to be compatible (There are no G.Skill 3200mhz 4 x16GB kits that DO show compatibility with that board) on the G.Skill memory configurator tool. There are in fact no such kits showing compatibility with that board that consist of four DIMMs at 3200mhz, regardless of series or model, from G.Skill. In the past this has shown itself to be pretty accurate in terms of having problems with G.Skill memory on a given board if it does not show up in the configurator as compatible. It's true that it doesn't have to show as compatible to be able to BE compatible, and work normally, but OFTEN kits that don't show as compatible, aren't, and won't work without some kind of problems whether minor or major.

Also, Memtest86 is NOT always accurate. I've seen MANY memory kits that had problems but could pass Memtest, yet when replaced no further problems occurred. So that is usually the first option you want to look at if you are still within the window to return that memory kit OR you can contact G.Skill as they are usually very good about supporting their products especially if you can get into contact with one of their moderators on the G.Skill forum to assist you.

The other option and consideration is that you are running four DIMMs, and this OFTEN creates problems because it is a much less stable configuration on many dual channel architectures, and in some cases might require a minor boost in DRAM voltage beyond what the XMP profile sets it at. You can try increasing the memory voltage by increments of .005v (Or .020v if that is the increment your board allows), saving after each change and then retesting to see if the problem is eliminated during POST. If no improvement is seen by the time you've increased the DRAM voltage by several increments, then DRAM voltage is probably not the problem and before throwing in the towel on that memory kit, you might want to look into making some adjustments to the VCCIO and VCCSA voltages, both of which have relationships with the internal memory controller and can have an effect on systems, especially early DDR4 systems that didn't support higher memory speed operation nearly as well as newer platforms do, since the IMC is fundamentally involved in memory operations.

I would not recommend going higher than 1.1-1.2v, max, on either of these, unless you know exactly what you are doing and have educated yourself about these voltages to the best of the information that is available out there, for the average user. Those ranges should be safe but it is wise to look at professional reviews and guides for guidance on making these adjustments. This might be helpful as a starting point for doing that, but there is likely much more up to date information available elsewhere, potentially, given the age of the original guide.

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/84...html#Intel-Max-Voltages-and-Stability-Testing

Solution

creab47

Commendable
Jul 9, 2018
I have gotten it working again where I do not get the error 55. I reinstalled the latest BIOS version and cleared the CMOS. This allows me to use the four sticks without an issue at 2133MHz. XMP does not work, it just brings the issue back up. I have a feeling that it is a combination of trying to run 64GB of ram at a speed that requires OC and really pushing the board to the limits. The XMP puts the voltage at 1.35V and if it isn't stable there then so be it. I have ram for future upgrades and am perfectly fine running at 2133. There are almost no scenarios where I will be bottle-necked by this. I will have to keep the MQL in mind next time I make any changes to my system. I appreciate your response and the education on the matter. 😁

Quick question, would having this ram operate at 2133MHz cause any issues with it as it is "supposed" to be 3200MHz?

Found the root cause, i5 7600k only supports 2133 or 2400. OC to 2400 works perfectly
The 7600k only supports speeds up to 2400mhz, NATIVELY, but it has no such limitations for running faster memory speeds via XMP or manual overclocking configurations. You have an unlocked CPU and an unlocked motherboard. There is no such limitation for that CPU on that board.

**7th Gen Intel® CPU supports DDR4 up to 2400; 6th Gen Intel® CPU supports DDR4 up to 2133.

That statement, found on your motherboard product page, is meant to indicate what the memory speed supported BY DEFAULT, is, not what the MAXIMUM memory speed is. Your problem is NOT being speed limited due to your CPU model. Your problem is something else, most likely, the fact that G.Skill says that memory kit is NOT validated for that motherboard, which means it will likely work fine at default range speeds and timings, but anything beyond that is going to be a crapshoot. It could work. It could not work. It could work, but have some issues.

Generally, if a memory kit made by G.Skill IS compatible, fully, with a given board, they say so. They would not intentionally not list a memory kit as being compatible UNLESS they had a good reason for it not being listed as such. They do VERY extensive testing with all their memory kits on every commonly sold consumer motherboard, so it usually is clear to them whether a kit is going to work without issues on a given board or not, and if not, they leave it off the compatibility list for that board. Which is the case here.

That doesn't necessarily mean, for sure, that it's an issue with the model of memory kit you have, but it's a very good indication that potentially it might be.

I would test each stick of memory, separately, for a full FOUR passes of Memtest86 AND I would also run the Windows memory diagnostic extended test as well. Aside from that, I'd try two DIMMs in the second and fourth DIMM slots and see if you have any problems running the XMP profile with only two DIMMs installed. If you have no problems, try the other two DIMMs in the same way. If all four DIMMs will run when only two are installed, at the XMP profile configuration, then it is somewhat more likely that your problem is either with one of the other two slots on the board or a voltage or other setting in the configuration.

Also, 1.35v, which is what the kit is "rated" for, is all fine and good, but DDR4 can safely be run at voltage up to 1.4v, higher even. Some kits come with up to 1.5v profile voltages out of the box. So if a four DIMM kit on an early DDR4 platform (Second generation of DDR4 compatible motherboards, realistically.) doesn't want to run with four DIMMs at the correct speed and timings, but does with only two, then a bump in DRAM voltage is often all that is needed to sort it out and gets things stable again.

Looking in here might help you to find something you've overlooked. And then again, it might not.