Intermittent crashes even while in safe mode

BornToDoStuff

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
I have searched the forums and I found one similar result to the conditions I am experiencing.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/57020-63-computer-crashes-randomly-safe-mode
It seems like he was having hardware issues and this is my thought as well after trying some things. I didnt want to try the solution to the linked thread because I do not have a non-USB mouse or keyboard and it stated that you would need one.

Symptoms:
■ crashing at seemingly random intervals. These crashes are instantaneous, have no BSOD and are anywhere from 20 mins to 3 hours apart.
■ safe mode (even with no networking) still suffers from crashing under the same "conditions".
■ crashes happen even at the login screen before anything is touched after a reboot.
■ occasional freezes which require a reboot.

Things I have done:
■ Restoring to a point before the crashes started (no effect).
■ checking wires and hardware to make sure everything is seated properly (no effect).
■ checking event viewer for errors. There were some errors but even after they were fixed there was no effect on the overall crashes.
■ sfc /scannow (while not in safe mode if that matters). This returned nothing
■ checked all components for overheating. My monitoring program doesnt show anything overheating and these crashes can happen while nothing is running. While nothing is running my computer sits at just over 30C and goes up to about 38C when under mild load. Under a heavy load it tops off at 55C usually. I also opened the case and put my hand near everything (to verify the sensors werent way off) which was all barely above room temperature to my hand.

There seems to be no effect to the system besides the crashing, the freezes are about 1 to every 15 crashes probably. All hardware was bought at the same time and is still quite new (several months old). I am running Windows 7 64 bit Professional.
I am not sure what else to do or check but I am thinking it is hardware because it crashes in safe mode and after a restore.

Five Seven Five

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
If you suspect a hardware problem, I would certainly consider trying to find a friend and borrow a PS/2 mouse and keyboard to try. You could probably bet a mouse and keyboard for around $20 combined. Beyond checking that (and running without any other peripherals) you could also try a clean boot to see if the problem persists there as it does within safe mode.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If there is no success in those avenues, I would then consider making note of your Windows product key and doing a clean install.

BornToDoStuff

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

I did try this just now as its a pretty quick and painless thing to try and it crashed soon after I did the clean boot. I will try running without peripherals and the program tried in the last thread tomorrow.