[SOLVED] Intermittent crashes: ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 LGA,

Mar 12, 2023
I have a newish system that was pretty solid and now it just randomly crashes (no BSOD just reboots) even when it's not doing anything.

Specs
Windows 10
ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 LGA
Intel Core i9-11900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.3 GHz Unlocked LGA1200
Thermalright Silver Soul 135 Black CPU Cooler Dual Towers
ASUS ROG STRIX NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
Crucial P3 4TB PCIe Gen3 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SS <- clean install of OS
SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen 4 Gaming M.2 <- reused from previous system
Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) <- reused this memory from my previous system
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5, 80 Plus Gold 1000W

I've tried updating drivers etc.. I'm at a loss as to how to trouble shoot this.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

it just randomly crashes
Can you define what you mean be crashes ? Do you mean a reboot or a BSoD then a reboot?

SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen 4 Gaming M.2 <- reused from previous system
Did this house the OS when on the older platform? If so, you're advised to reinstall the OS, in case you didn't format and reinstall the OS.

Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) <- reused this memory from my previous system
Those rams should work then again, if you were building a system with the parts listed above, it wouldn't have cost you much to get a new set of DDR4-3600Mhz ram. That out of the way, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

ASUS ROG STRIX NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
+
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5, 80 Plus Gold 1000W
Might want to go through this. With that said, I would've looked into a 1.5KW unit...and EVGA tend to have hit or miss units even within it's top tier lineup of PSU's.

Reactions: rickypicky5
Mar 12, 2023
Ok to be more specific it just restarts, no BSOD.

I've run memory check on the DDR4 and it seems fine. I didn't replace the ram because I was mostly using the GPU for AI and didn't see the need for faster system ram.

The OS is running on the Crucial P3 4TB as a clean install.

Since my initial post I've upgraded to windows 11 and I am updating the BIOS to 1701

I thought the 1000watt PSU was enough.. like I said it would reboot when it was basically doing nothing and it's on an UPS as well. I suppose if this keeps happening I'll go to a 1500 watt PSU. Any recs for a 1.5k PSU?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023
I ended up doing a fresh install of Windows 11.. the system was still acting weird after I got it to stop randomly rebooting. Trying to keep everything as minimal as possible.