Question Intermittent crashing and restart, too many tabs open in Firefox obvious culprit

arz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I've had intermittent crashing occurring with my custom built PC at least since 2019. It's been very infrequent as of recent, but it used to occur more often before I changed the power settings for my video card to performance mode.

I've had my video card sent in for an RMA for two weeks now, and despite currently using the processor's integrated graphics, I'm still having this issue occur once every other week, so I know the graphics card isn't the only possible hardware issue here.

What happens is that the screen locks and there's no input going to the monitor. I can't move the mouse or even change the keyboard to caps lock.

The consistent crashes occur while using Firefox. I have roughly over 3,000 tabs open (I know, I know). The tabs aren't actually loaded upon starting the browser, so I'm not sure how taxing it is having the tabs open regardless if they're loaded and active. It also seems to occur more readily if I have several youtube videos open.

I run very demanding graphics games at times and not once have I had a crash while gaming or running another intensive program. It's always been Firefox related.

Looking at the event ID and I consistently see the following errors:

6008, 161, 41, and 1101

I've run numerous diagnostic tests such as memtest on my memory and have yet found any errors with the RAM.

System info:

Windows 10 64-bit
Intel I9-9900K
G-Skill TridentZ 4 x 8GB
Asus Maximus XI Hero

Aside from closing all the tabs, what other advice is there to diagnose any potential hardware issues?

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Can you also include the BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

despite currently using the processor's integrated graphics
Do you mean inspite? If so, did you run DDU for your platform to remove all GPU drivers? What discrete GPU were you on prior to the RMA?

arz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Can you also include the BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

despite currently using the processor's integrated graphics
Do you mean inspite? If so, did you run DDU for your platform to remove all GPU drivers? What discrete GPU were you on prior to the RMA?
yes, "in spite".

The PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W that was purchased in late 2018. It was returned once for an RMA due to coil whine a month or two after purchase.

The BIOS is the most current for the motherboard, version 2004.

The GPU unit was an EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC2 ULTRA that had to be RMA'd due to failing video RAM that caused artifacting. While attempting to solve the issue with the video card a few weeks ago I ran DDU to remove all video drivers.

arz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
"I have roughly over 3,000 tabs open (I know, I know)."

I think I see the issue.

WHY?

Mental illness. Unfortunately that's beyond the scope of this forum.

I ran DDU to remove all video drivers.
Did you manually reinstall the latest Intel GPU drivers in an elevated command?

I have not. I did manually install the latest Intel GPU driver, however. The problem is that it's difficult to repeat this crash because of how infrequent it is. The only thing I can be 100% sure of is that it was dramatically cut down in frequency when I changed the 2080TI to performance mode, so I'm fairly confident it's related to having numerous youtube videos/tabs open in Firefox.

Ideally I would like to know which hardware component is failing as it could be a bigger problem in the future, as what happened before I changed the video card power settings.