[SOLVED] Intermittent fan issue

Delhu

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Hi guys,
My current gpu is a 980ti g1 gaming from gigabyte. A year ago, for no reason, one of the fans started messing up: it was not rotating at the same speed as the others, nor regularly and it was making a lot of noise. However the issue disappeared as it came after a few reboots.
Fast forward to last week end: the fan started messing up again: noise, irregular rotation and it seemed to wobble. I removed from the computer, cleaned the dust and noticed while gently pushing it that it could wobble out of the orthogonal plan of its rotation axis. Nevertheless, I put it back into the computer but alas, the noise and rotation issue was still present. The next day, I powered my pc and surprise! The fan was rotating smoothly. I was even able to play without any issue. Pushing the speed to 75% on Afterburner is fine too.
I am a bit at a loss here. Is it a faulty bearing? Should I replace the fan?
Thanks

Solution
Hi guys,
My current gpu is a 980ti g1 gaming from gigabyte. A year ago, for no reason, one of the fans started messing up: it was not rotating at the same speed as the others, nor regularly and it was making a lot of noise. However the issue disappeared as it came after a few reboots.
Fast forward to last week end: the fan started messing up again: noise, irregular rotation and it seemed to wobble. I removed from the computer, cleaned the dust and noticed while gently pushing it that it could wobble out of the orthogonal plan of its rotation axis. Nevertheless, I put it back into the computer but alas, the noise and rotation issue was still present. The next day, I powered my pc and surprise! The fan was rotating smoothly. I was...
Hi guys,
Fast forward to last week end: the fan started messing up again: noise, irregular rotation and it seemed to wobble. I removed from the computer, cleaned the dust and noticed while gently pushing it that it could wobble out of the orthogonal plan of its rotation axis. Nevertheless, I put it back into the computer but alas, the noise and rotation issue was still present. The next day, I powered my pc and surprise! The fan was rotating smoothly. I was even able to play without any issue. Pushing the speed to 75% on Afterburner is fine too.
I am a bit at a loss here. Is it a faulty bearing? Should I replace the fan?
Thanks
This is common.
The fan jumps out of its normal bearing track for a bit.....then jumps back.
In my experience....this only gets worse.
I would replace the fan.

Solution