Question Intermittent fps drops in games

Dec 14, 2019
I've been having some issues with my PC for over a year now while gaming. I've tried a few different things but nothing has solved it so far. Basically, when playing games, even if it's something with low to moderate requirements, I'll get occasional huge drops in fps (from ~150 to ~10 in some cases). These tend to last about 30 seconds, with a frequency of about once every five minutes (more for more intensive games, less for less intensive games).

I bought the PC originally prebuilt and have replaced the parts over time. The only things I haven't replaced myself are the motherboard, the case, and trivial parts like the optical drive, sound card and whatnot. As of right now the specs are (via speccy):

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955

RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4N68T-M-V2 (AM3)

Graphics: DELL E1914H (1366x768@60Hz); 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (MSI)

Storage: 953GB ADATA SU 800 SCSI Disk Device (SATA (SSD))

Optical Drives: ASUS DRW-24B1ST a SCSI CdRom Device

I've ruled out software issues via multiple virus scans and the fact that problems persist even after factory resets (the SSD is new and the problems are still persisting). I've also tried using utilities like Razer Game Booster, which raised my steady fps but did nothing to help the drops. The fps drops occur even in games like League of Legends which my PC should easily be able to handle. My current suspiscion is that my power supply is inadequate. I'm running a Corsair CX Series 500 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Non-Modular Power Supply. This power supply calculator tells me I should need about 471 watts, so I'm wondering if I'm cutting it too close with the 500?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts; I'm pretty much at my wit's end with this.

EDIT: I should also mention that I've monitored the temperature and none of the parts seem to be overheating (my gpu hits about 60C max and nothing else is that hot) but the cpu usage does tend to hover about 100% when playing games.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS