Question Intermittent Freeze and Restarts after VGA and PSU upgrade

Dec 6, 2022
Hello All,
As the title says, I've been running into freezing and restarting of my pc. I recently upgraded my video card and power supply, and thats when my issues began.
  • Motherboard: Rog Strix x570-E Gaming
  • VGA: Nvidia Geforce 3090Ti
  • Power Supply: Thermaltake 1200W Gold
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 3800X
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
  • 16 GB DDR4 Ram
  • I have 3 solid states, one is directly screwed into the mobo, and 2 hard drives.

Now for the meat of the issue. This build was working fine before when I had a GTX 1070 and a separate thermaltake PSU of 850W. I upgraded the VGA and the crashes began. Event Viewer logs them as a Kernel-Power issue. Event ID: 41, Task Category 63. At this point, I looked things up and upgraded the PSU to the 1200W. The issue persists.
I've taken the following steps to address the potential freezes with no improvement:
  • Updated Power/Sleep Settings
  • Turned Off Windows Fast Startup
  • Turned Off Automatic Restart
  • Uninstalled Old Drivers using DDU. Installed latest Drivers through Geforce Experience
  • Ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (Completed Successfully)
  • Updated the BIOS to the latest version: 4408

These logs never have any details. The BugCheckCode is 0, and all subfields are 0 (PowerButtonTimestamp, BootAppStatus, etc).
When I reboot, my mobo lists a q code of 0d with an amber light, leading me to think I had a memory issue. I took the followings steps to address that:
  • Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic (No Errors)
  • Reseated Ram
    • My ram is split into 2 sticks of 8gb DDR4 placed into slots A2 and B2.
Still no improvements. Can anyone think of any possible issues? My computer can post, and I can log in, browse, play games, etc, but it will randomly freeze, log a power issue, try to reboot, and get hung up on the 0d step. Only holding the power button and waiting a minute before restarting works.

One final thing: This mobo comes with a gui in the bios, but when I access it I get the same freeze I get randomly in windows, but much quicker (after maybe 15 sec), and I get the same cycle and forced reboot only to get hung up on 0d.
Please advise,

Dec 6, 2022
So I reset the CMOS through the battery removal method. Waiting 5 minutes, and afterwards my computer couldn't post with the 3090ti. I swapped back to my original VGA of a gtx 1070 and the computer booted. Not sure why the CMOS could have an effect like that

TRENDING THREADS