Question Intermittent Freezing After New Build

Doublehelix3216

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
Ugh. Frustrating intermittent freezing on a NEW PC build. It is hard to discern a pattern to the madness, but seems to happen randomly. Things will eventually start running again, but once it starts freezing, it just keeps going through a freeze/unfreeze cycle, sometimes freezing every few seconds. A reboot is the only recourse that I have found to work.

The system:
EVGA Supernova 1200 P3 PSU
ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero Mobo
BIOS: 0703
Intel Core 13th Gen i9-13900K CPU
G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 Memory (2x32GB)
4 x Western Digital Black 2 TB NVMe SSD - RAID 10 array
ASUS ROG Ryujin II 360 ARGB EVA Edition AIO Water Cooler
Gigabyte Nvidea Gforce RTX 3070 Graphics Card
Windows 11 Home 64-bit

I have tried:
MEMTEST (ran from BIOS - 4 complete passes)​
CrystalDisk Scan​
sfc /scannow​
BIOS is current​
All drivers are current​
Chipset drivers are current​

I saw another thread on here where the culprit turned out to be the motherboard. I think it became the "last man standing" for the original poster after he tried everything else.

Anything else I should check before contacting ASUS for a return on the mobo?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Doublehelix3216

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
Hey there,

When you did the bios update, did you clear CMOS? If not, do that as it can cause bugs, with remnants of microcode hanging around causing issues.

Running any OC's?

Thanks for the reply.

I did not clear the CMOS since the previous BIOS version was the original that was released with the mobo. Also, I had this problem with the default BIOS as well. It is something else to try however, thanks for the suggestion.

I am running the very basic OC setting in the BIOS. I have not tried anything fancy (yet) because I wanted to get the system running smoothly before any additional tweaks.

Okay, try that first. Clear CMOS, and let us know.

In terms of the OC, this comes up quite often here on the forums. You literally have THE most potent consumer CPU available right now. On top of that a new mobo line, with limited compatibility, as they are so new.. The way the CPUs are designed, means they run at their max, pretty much out of the box. The algorithms that decide how much thermal headroom, voltage on the fly. Doing any sort of OC yields practically nothing in terms of FPS (if that's what you're chasing), of for that matter synthetic benchmarks. Introducing an OC when there is little benefit, only brings with it potential instability. Run at stock, apart from XMP. We need a base level to be able to determine that the issue is.

Doublehelix3216

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
OK, sorry, there is no overclocking going on at all. In the ASUS BIOS, there is control on the "EZ panel" for AI OC'ing. The options are either "Normal" (no OIC'ing) or "AI" (AI-controlled OC'ing). I thought "normal meant basic OC settings, but it is actually no overclocking at all. The CPU core voltage is at 1.385v.

My concern with clearing the CMOS is that I will lose all of my BIOS settings, right? This means having to recreate the RAID 10?