intermittent hangs...

pulse

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
ok, I have a msi k7-master-s with the amd 760 chipset.
installed is a radeon aiw,
and a soundblaster live platnum 5.1....

the computer likes to hang every once and a while and it seems to have something to do with the two cards interacting.....

I've updated the drivers for both cards and the chipset, but the problem keeps coming back....

any ideas?

shuke

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Probable cause;

Hardware - memory, try reseat the memory or replace with another.

Software - memory timing, graphic card or soundcard driver.

Or whatever.

It don't come easy.......not always.

G

I've been trying to find others like you!!! Me and a few others I've found who have the K7 Master S have serious video issues. I've tried all sorts of drivers too. I've found that the issues go away completely if you drop the fsb down to 100 MHz, or if you run games in software render mode at 133 fsb. There's definitely something going on with the board and video when the fsb is at 133. I have an Elsa Gladiac Ultra 64, and I've tried another GeForce 2 MX card (different brand, but can't remember which), and both have the exact same behavior. In my case the sound card makes no difference because I've confirmed these tests with every other card out of my system. I've also watched cpu temp and it has never gone over 52 C, so that's not a problem.

The other weird thing is that it totally passed a couple benchmark tests, but craps out completely on any real graphic game. The only variable is how long it takes. I played Rune (UT engine) for about ten minutes once. The UT engine is the only game that dumps any debug info, so maybe that will be useful to someone. My next task is to find a benchmark instead of a game that will fail regularly, so I can get MSI to actually look at the problem, which they won't acknowledge yet (they ran one benchmark with the card, so they think everything's fine).

Let's please coordinate our testing and share our findings because I'm really close to just sending this board back to the shop and getting a totally different brand.

my specs:
MSI K7 Master S
AMD 1.4 GHz
Elsa Gladiac Ultra 64
512 DDR Micron PC2100
ferretofwrath@hotmail.com

pulse

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
you know, I think I've narrowed my problem to a bus mastering issue.
the latest drivers don't work, but I've noticed that when I use my ata100 pci controler card to boot off of the problem goes away.
so maybe theres something funky going on with the agp bus and the eide bus master.

I'm still looking into it though.

pulse

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
well....
I found a page you MUST see....
it seems we arent alone, and there already is a concerted effort to get a bug...
msi is supposedly working on it...

here's the link:
<A HREF="http://www.msihardware.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000272" target="_new">http://www.msihardware.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000272</A>