[SOLVED] Intermittent internet access and other issues.

Feb 3, 2020
I have a Toshiba Satellite P25W-C laptop that's somewhere around 4.5 or 5 years old. Intel core i5-6200 CPU @2.30 GHz 2.40 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM (don't know if that helps).

In the last month I started having problems connecting to the internet through Wi-Fi. Sometimes it would show it was connected but I'd get a DNS server error regardless of which website I tried to go to. Other times I'd just get the globe icon and couldn't connect at all. Sometimes it would basically switch back and forth on its own from the "internet connection signal strength indicator" and the "globe" but I couldn't connect either way. After trying virus scans and anything else I could think of, I bought an external Wi-Fi adapter about three weeks ago and everything seemed great again.

Then a few days ago I started having the same problem regardless of if I was trying to use the adapter or the internal Wi-Fi. Tonight I have had hours of no connection despite trying several things. I tried rebooting into safe mode with networking and then when I went to Settings, Network and Internet, the Wi-Fi icon completely disappeared altogether.

The other thing I have noticed is the CPU fan started coming on as soon as I booted up in regular mode and wouldn't shut off. But if I switch to safe mode, the fan shuts right off. Once I got the fan to turn off tonight I rebooted in regular mode, was able to access the internal Wi-Fi and headed here to see if anyone has any ideas what the problem might be (the only thing I did before this was update my virus/malware software and run a scan, which detected no problems)? The Wi-Fi and fan are good right this moment, but that could change at any time. Any ideas on what might be going on?