Intermittent issue when booting

Arkone

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Hi all,

Experiencing a bit of a weird issue with my custom built PC (about 18 months old)...

Recently I have found that when I first boot the PC nothing happens on the monitor. Everything seems to fire up fine, I can hear fans/disks etc, case lights come on as usual, but the monitor reports no signal (on display port).

However, if I then kill the machine and cold boot a few times on about the 4th/5th attempt the display will kick in and the PC works absolutely fine (gaming for a number of hours).

As mentioned this has been going on for at least a month now, same behavior everyday. Today after about 6 unsuccessful boot attempts I decided I should probably take a look, so I pulled the cover off and noticed a solid red LED above the GPU.

Repeating the cold reboot process with the side off I noted that the red light would come on next to the CPU, then go off, then come on next to the RAM, then go of off, then the GPU one would come on and stay on, solid.

Naturally I assumed something must be up with the GPU. My first idea was to re-seat it, which I did, but this didn't seem to have any affect (still booting to no display). I was then unsure what to do next, but for no reason tried taking the display port cable out of the GPU and then booting. This time it worked fine (this could have just been a coincidence - or maybe it slightly adjusted the GPU seating...just thinking out-loud...). I have now been using it all evening as usual (gaming again), and its working perfectly.

I am sure tomorrow when need to boot from cold I will have the same issue, but I am completely lost as to what is causing this when the PC is otherwise working perfectly.

Any thoughts appreciated! Specs below:

MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
GPU: 2GB EVGA GTX 670
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
PSU: 750W, Corsair Enthusiast Series
HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7
SSD: 128GB Crucial M4

Thanks in advance for any help!