Question Intermittent issue where PC freezes and audio cuts out temporarily ?

MH264

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
This has been happening for a month or so now and I have failed to remedy it short of resetting the whole PC. I noticed this issue while playing Elden Ring and thought my PC was just getting bogged down because it is a bit behind these days. There does not seem to be a certain trigger or circumstance that causes this issue, it appears to be completely intermittent. I was basically only using this PC for Elden Ring for a month straight but since moving on from it I have seen this occur in CK3, For Honor, also in less demanding games as well as when watching Youtube via Chrome. Now that I have seen it happen outside of Elden Ring I realize it is not confined to that game and would like to figure out this issue.

Basically I will notice the audio cut out and whatever I am doing on screen will freeze at the same time, sometimes there will then be some feedback (noise) followed by the audio coming back in however strangely when the audio comes back for a half-second it is extremely loud but then goes back to whatever volume setting and when the audio comes back in the PC unfreezes and I can continue playing. Altogether this problem lasts for about 5-6 seconds. Other than this I am able to play on mostly max settings at 2560 x 1440 without any issues. I would also like to note that about 35% of the time when this issue occurs the audio will recover however the game or program remains hanging on ultimately crashes to desktop or I have to end task through task manager.

I have never run into an issue like this. I initially thought it was an issue with my Logitech G560 speaker system because the micro USB cable seems to have a cold solder joint in the connector so it has to be manipulated into that certain position to function properly. So to be sure I played using a headset as my audio output device and the issue still occurred. I uninstalled my realtek audio drivers and installed new driver from Asus support section as well as allowing Windows to find driver however it did not change anything. I also did a clean install of Nvidia driver package which also did not fix the problem. Any advice or ideas is much appreciated or let me know if you want any information or logs from me. Thanks.

• i7 6700k Skylake 4GHz
  • Asus ROG Maximus VIII Formula Motherboard (BIOS: 3801)
  • Asus Strix GTX 980ti GPU
  • x2 8GB G. Skill TridentZ DDR4 Ram 2133 (16GB)
  • Samsung Evo SSD 250GB (System/OS),
  • Samsung Evo SSD 500GB (Games)
  • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit (Build: 19044.1645)
  • Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G 850W power supply
* (edited to add power supply to parts list) *

Last edited: