Question Intermittent Lag Spikes and internet drop outs during gaming

Jan 25, 2020
Quite recently my gaming has been hit with insane lag spikes (1000ms, sometimes up to 9000ms and sometimes complete disconnection). It affects almost every game I play but seem limited to one PC.

I've tried a new wifi adapter in replacement of my wifi card, preventing windows from shutting off wifi adapters to save power. My wifi is 2.4GHz and connection via ethernet is not possible as my computer is too far from my modem and router. I've also tried connecting my computer to my phone's personal hotspot which has a 4G internet connection but the results are the same.

I've considered that there may be interference affecting my connection but my internet and computer has been fine for the previous 6 months under the same circumstances. I've done a packet loss test (no idea what the stuff indicates ) 0% packet loss but 100% of packets are late for some reason. Download speed is consistently higher than 10mbps.

My computer is the only device that accesses the internet the majority of the time. My ISP have run various tests but have not found any issues with the lines. If the issue is most likely wifi interference, is there any way I can improve my connection other than ethernet?

Another issue which I'm not sure is related but developed around the same time; my graphics card (Nvidia 2060) 'drops out' occasionally. I may be loading sometime in game and sometimes the constant sound from the graphic card fan suddenly stops leaving me with black/empty areas (ground or objects not rendering).
Edit*
The Specs of my PC are:
CPU; Intel i5-9400F @2.9Ghz
Motherboard: MSI H310M Pro-VD PLUS
GPU: Nvidia 2060
RAM: 8GB DDR4
Wifi Adapter: Atheros AR7015
Modem: (Australian NBN) Arris CM8200
Router: Vodafone Wifi-Hub (Doesnt seem to give much model information otherwise)
PSU: Cooler Master Master Box Lite 500W 230V, about 7-8 months old, not sure what you mean by condition but no noticeable problems.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed:

Make and model modem, router (or modem/router if combined).

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

GPU: Shutdown, unplug, open the case. Ensure that all cards, cables, RAM etc. are fully and firmly in place. Clean out dust, debris, etc. as necessary.

TRENDING THREADS