• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Intermittent mystery crashes with no power to peripherals. EZ debug CPU light on.

Jun 5, 2020
I will try to keep this succinct! For a couple of months I've been having an intermittent issue where my screen will go blank and power will cut out to all my peripherals. When this happens, all case and system fans are still going, RAM RGB still lit etc. so it appears that the PC is still "on". I foolishly had never checked the EZ Debug lights when this happened- I did so today and noticed that the CPU light was on.

The only things that fixes it is a restart, which has no issues. It doesn't seem to happen under any specific conditions (it can be gaming, or it can be just browsing on chrome) and my temps never get anywhere near worrisome.

Is this something that other people have experienced, and what action would be recommended? Is it possible that it's the PSU? Its by far the oldest component.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 (stock speed)
Mobo: MSI B450M gaming plus
RAM: 2x8GB HyperX Fury HX432C16FB3AK2/16 clocked at 3200MHz (I know the CPU is only meant to officially support up to 2933MHz but it crashed at that speed as well)
GPU: Sapphire RX580 Nitro
PSU: Corsair 650W TX Series PSU

For more context, the CPU/mobo were replaced in December with no issue, and the crashes started when I changed my RAM. I did a heap of troubleshooting with the RAM including changing it AGAIN, but now having seen the CPU EZ debug light, I'm guessing that was a big ole waste of time.

Thank you immensely to anyone who can help, going a bit mad here.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS