Intermittent ping failures to router

AdoGreen

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
Hi guys, my internet connection is randomly dropping every so often, throwing me out of games and Skype calls. To try and troubleshoot (and prove a fault to my ISP) I downloaded and have been running PingPlotter.

However, it seems that the ping to my router is failing, not a fault on the line as I expected. This happens semi-regularly, for between a few seconds to a few minutes (red lines show 100% packet loss). This happens to every device on the network, ruling out a computer issue.

0h9iM7v.png

The interesting thing is that this was happening originally with my BT homehub; we have since switched to PlusNet and changed router (to a Plusnet 2704n) and this is still ongoing.

Any help would be appreciated :)

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

do you have a switch?
are all of your devices connected with a cable?
have you tried a ping test between 2 devices?

this graph that you have posted looks fancy but simple numbers work better in this case.

open a command prompt and run the command below for about 5 minutes, press ctr+c to interrupt the test and post the statistics at the end. basically we are looking for number of packets sent and number of packets lost.

ping "ip address of router" -t

while the command above is running, open another command prompt window and ping another device on the network and post the results

ping "IP of another device" -t

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

ok, i zoomed in, so looks like a 5 minute ping test is not going to do, apparently your issue happens over a much longer period of time. still try pinging another device on the network and let us know

AdoGreen

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
It hasn't dropped at all today yet so I haven't been able to post the CMD ping results, though I will do so as soon as I catch it dropping again.

It's just a simple router, I'm not using any switches. And the original graph I showed was from a wireless PC, but I've tried with a wired one and had the same results (with slightly less ping fluctuation obviously). I'll run all my future tests from the wired computer though, just for reliability.