Specs:
i7-11700k
ASUS PRIME Z590-A
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 16GB
MSI Ventus 2x RTX3070
WD blue NVME SSD
Corsair CX750 PSU
Windows 10

Recently built this computer for a friend, on build turned on XMP and UEFI compatibility mode in bios and let the remaining Asus settings stock. The computer will be fine for about a week, operate perfectly, and then on startup will begin power cycling. It doesn't get to windows boot screen or to the Asus screen. The only repair I have found is to remove the CMOS battery. Once that happens I can get into the bios and then the PC boots fine.

Since this issue has started I have;
  1. Ran both ram sticks as individual sticks in single channel mode
  2. Removed GPU and attempted to run without
  3. removed SSD

The PC will continue power cycling until CMOS is removed and reinstalled. I thought maybe the CMOS battery was dead so I replaced it and the issue is still present. The only remaining thing I could think would be the motherboard. Y'all have any other tests we can do?

Thanks

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If you disable the XMP profile (which resetting CMOS should be doing) and assuming you aren't turning it back on, will the system stay stable then?

I would ask what BIOS version the board is on. The early Z5xx BIOS weren't great. I would be a bit reluctant to try and flash BIOS with system instability like this though.