Question Intermittent Restarting Loop

blackstar26

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
I purchased a second hand PC today and am having an interesting issue with it. The pc is entering a re starting loop at different points - sometimes its before anything appears on the screen, other times its in the BIOS and once or twice I have been able to boot into a clean install of Windows before the Re start loop has begun

Things I have tried so far
  • Removing everything but the CPU, RAM, Mobo
  • Tested a different PSU
  • Tested using only one ram module (both are recognised in the BIOS before powering off)
  • Cleaning and dismantling the PC
  • Booting up the PC on a workbench
  • Resetting the CMOS battery

Is there anything else that could be causing this or is it likely to be a CPU/Mobo fault

It is just interesting the PC will sometimes boot to windows before re starting. Once it does restart however it goes into the loop

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Specs:
I5 3570K
Gigabyte z77 d3h
8GB Corsair Vengance DDr3
GTX 760
CorsairCX600W PSU

irpwns

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I had something very similar to this happen a couple times to me. The first time, it was a faulty hard drive. The second time, I had my PSU set to the EU voltage instead of 115.

blackstar26

Distinguished
May 1, 2012
I had something very similar to this happen a couple times to me. The first time, it was a faulty hard drive. The second time, I had my PSU set to the EU voltage instead of 115.

Its interesting to hear you had a similar problem - I am glad yours was sorted. For me it cannot be the PSU voltage as I tested it with another PSU I know works.