Question Intermittent Screen Flicker ?

aymanfarshid94

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
Hi everyone and hope you all have a good day.

I have an LG ultragear LG 27GN750-B 240hz monitor and it has been running well. I play valorant at 1920 x 1080 240hz and it is smooth with no problems at all. (Freesync OFF, VSync OFF, GPU scaling OFF). I tried going to back to CSGO recently after a long break to see how the 1920 x 1080 240hz smoothness feels like there but I keep getting intermittent screen flickers, blackouts and sometimes even the monitor itself suddenly displaying static as if its out of range. I tried FPS uncapped, capped either of which had no positive result and then reducing to 144hz while capping FPS to close to 200 frames, this seemed like it partially fixed the problem though a flicker was seen once or twice but a longer interval. This happens a lot when I play single player games as well or games where it does not hit 240 frames (BF1, BFV etc) so I just change it 60hz and turn VSync ON at the time as is not so important on single player games.
I have the main LG 240hz connected via HDMI and graphics properties allows me to enable 240hz. The secondary monitor is a standard 24inch Dell P221 series at 60hz via DP. I tried disabling the secondary monitor and running CSGO just on the main thinking it could be the issue but it made no difference. I tried enabling GPU scaling and that didn't work either.

PC specs - i7 7700 with corsair H120mm liquid cooler / 16GB RAM / XFXX RX 580 8GB / WIN 10

Looking forward to your advice and suggestions. Thank you

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU and it's age. Please include that and the make and model of your motherboard, inclusive of the BIOS version you're on at this moment of time.

You might want to also see if running DDU to remove all GPU drivers, then manually reinstalling the latest GPU driver sourced from AMD's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, changes your experience with the flickering.

What 120mm Corsair are you working with?

Reactions: aymanfarshid94

aymanfarshid94

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU and it's age. Please include that and the make and model of your motherboard, inclusive of the BIOS version you're on at this moment of time.

You might want to also see if running DDU to remove all GPU drivers, then manually reinstalling the latest GPU driver sourced from AMD's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, changes your experience with the flickering.

What 120mm Corsair are you working with?

hi there, thanks for your reply. my apologies, i missed out on that information.

the PSU is DEEPCOOL DN450 450W, the age is mostly about 1.5 - 2 years which is the day I got the RX580.
the MB is GIGABYE z270-H3DP-CF
BIOS - American Megatrends Inc F8 11/8/2017 (as per msinfo32)
Windows 10 Pro build 10.0.19045

The CPU cooler is Hydro Series™ H60 (2018) 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler

I have tried the DDU toolkit by both installation of both the full AMD software setup and then eventually doing it again switching to minimal installation. The issue is that I only see the problem in CSGO and not in Valorant. I have freesync off in both cases. As mentioned before, it occurs in single player games as well but just switching to 60hz solves the problem, which I cannot do for competitive games for known reasons

Lutfij

Titan
the PSU is DEEPCOOL DN450 450W, the age is mostly about 1.5 - 2 years which is the day I got the RX580.
If you had the RX580 in the build, I'd have advised that you got a 650W reliably built PSU. As it stands you don't have adequate power for the entire build.

Last edited:

aymanfarshid94

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
If you had the RX580 in the build, I'd have advised that you got a650W reliably built PSU. As it stands you don't have adequate power for the entire build.

thanks for your input, i will consider this in mind and be on the look out for another higher PSU for 650W or similar. for now, do you think i should try with a DP cable and check the flickering. additionally, i found another option called 'response time' which had modes such as OFF FAST FASTER and thought if changes in this would solve the issue in some way but no luck. i added the monitors manual here (https://www.manua.ls/lg/27gn750-b/manual) to have a read if you want. is there something called a monitor driver from LG and should i install that?

so far the only solution i resolved to work our for csgo is changing the refresh rate to 144hz and capping the fps in-game to 140/150. this way i rarely saw the intermittent flickers occur and at very very unnoticeable intervals if so as compared how often it occured on 240hz both fps capped and uncapped

TRENDING THREADS