Question Intermittent semi-freezing and unresponsiveness ?

CeleBelly

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
Back in February, I bought a prebuilt gaming desktop. It's pretty okay quality inn my opinion. Not the greatest, but it definitely suits my needs. I play games such as WoW, Ark, GTA and others, and most things do run at 40-60 FPS most of the time. Earlier on, it was rate my RAM usage exceeded 60%, though nowadays it's usually around 70-80% when playing most games, though that's not a huge issue right now.

Occasionally, is say 1/3 times using my computer, usually waking it up from sleep, I'll have a problem where very select things respond. Right clicking my desktop opens dialogue but it doesn't go away after. Nothing closes, be it through clicking it ending the task. Some windows, though oddly not all, don't respond to bring clicked at all, typically always Chrome and a few others. Even when trying to manually reset it won't do anything after the click. The only way I've been able to shut it off when it does this is through my power button. Even rebooting restarting explorer.exe in Task Manager only freezes it more. This also tends to happen if I leave it idle too long.

I keep my drivers and Windows 10 updated, defrag, etc. I do use https://www.iobit.com/en/advancedsystemcarefree.php to boost my ram and things, though I've never had a problem with it, even when I used it on my old desktop. Any help would be appreciated!

Specs:
Device name DESKTOP-D27C1P4
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.59 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Product ID 00325-91108-24748-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660

Lutfij

Titan
Please don't use third party app's to tinker around over or under the OS's hood. In fact the only you do need to do is simply use Disk Cleanup to cleanup space on your C drive(or the drive where your OS is installed). You don't need to defrag your SSD, unless you want to ruin your SSD.

Can you list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Makes and model of the devices will suffice, you don't need to add their serial numbers. You could conversely use CPU-Z and parse a screenshot for all the tabs you see...just that we don't get any info for the PSU using CPU-Z. You will need to find that manually after removing the side panel(s).

CeleBelly

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
Ah, sorry for the vague specs. I didn't take a second look to realize how little information that actually gave. Here are the elaborated specs I believe. I will note that this is where I got the information for my PSU since it seems it's hidden under a white platform that isn't directly shown in the case, and not something I can see without completely taking it apart. This, I believe, is my PC, though it wasn't refurbished when I bought it. It looks like they're sold out of the new pre-builts on Newegg where I got it, so this was the closest I could find. I will also note that I didn't start having this problem until a month and a half or so ago, though I've had this rig for nearly 7 months. The only real changes I can think of are adding the 1TB SSD and disabling my GeForce in-game overlay, as it was causing problems of its own with stuttering. After I disabled it, that problem ended, so I doubt it contributes to my one now.

Also, I shouldn't defragment anything at all? Just simple disk cleans?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3rd Gen
Motherboard: B450M/ac
Ram: 16GB
SSD/HDD: PNY 500GB SATA and SAMSUNG 870 QVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III (The latter I put in myself/bought after the fact)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
PSU: Corsair 500 Watt 80 PLUS (I believe)
Chassis: Skytech Archangel Gaming Case with Tempered Glass - White