Reputable
Dec 8, 2016
My specs:
Windows 10 Professional
Intel i7 930 CPU
Five DDR3 RAM sticks, three 6 GB and two 8GB
Radeon RX 480 GPU
EVGA 600W 80B PSU

My issue: For a very long time now, I've been experiencing an odd shut down issue. When under sufficient stress, the PC simply shuts down fully without warning. At first I assumed it was an overheating issue, and decided (Foolishly, I know) to open the side of the case and put a box fan next to it. I found that the computer lasted much longer without a shut down, sometimes never doing it at all, when a fan was blowing in. I assumed thus that it was an overheating issue, and thoroughly cleaned my PC more often to be rid of the dust that would build up from the use of a fan. Every now and then it would still shut down without warning, but a dust cleaning seemed to remove the problem once more.

However, lately my box fan broke down, and it seems like no one sells them anymore! So I became curious as to the cause, again. I bought Speccy to see the actual temperatures of my components, and ran my most demanding game. To my great surprise, all of my components were well within the safe heat levels, with the CPU climbing to 'only' 80C and even then only at the greatest, most prolonged stress. Research shows that the CPU has a shut-down range around 100C, and the thing never climbed above 80C. The other components are, likewise, within acceptable ranges for running a high end game, and in fact run cooler than most gamers report their components running with such loads. Speccy does not seem to track the PSU's heat level, so I'm not sure. That's a worry, since, aside from the motherboard and CPU fan, that's the only component in the computer that hadn't been changed out at some point. Even the OS has been upgraded recently.

So, I checked online and used several different PSU calculators, and found that a 450W PSU could handle my power load, and I'd been using a 650W the entire time. With assurances from elsewhere that it wouldn't cause damage, I bought my current, 600W PSU to replace the old one. Confident that the issue was not being caused by not having enough power, I gave the computer one more good dust cleaning, put away the fan, and closed the case for the first in a very long time.

Unfortunately, the problem persists. It's not as bad as it was before: whereas the thing would shut down in a long period of time while doing NOTHING without a fan on it, or in a short period of time while running a game, now it can last fairly long with a high-load game, to the tune of hours, including online play in said high-load game. As a last resort, I ordered a new CPU-mounted fan in order to see if that would fix the problem once and for all. It hasn't been installed yet, but given the information I've gathered I doubt it will stop this issue from happening again. The CPU fan needs to be replaced anyway, but in case it doesn't solve my problem, I'm asking here.

TL;DR: Computer intermittently shuts down, and is not an overheating issue, having too little power, OS failure (unless Windows 10 and Windows 7 have the exact same issue causing this), or bad components (as they've ALL been changed out at some point except for the motherboard, and please god let it not be the motherboard). What could be causing this?

xFeaRDom

Estimable
It depends on what PSU you replaced it with, what is your current PSU?

That seems like the most reasonable suspect, even though you replaced it, it doesn't wipe that cause out altogether, if it is a cheap brand then it may explain it.

Mecha_Face

Reputable
Dec 8, 2016

PSU is listed in specs. Not sure of exact model number, as I'm not home to check.

xFeaRDom

Estimable

That's just the OEM and the Wattage, unless you mean the EVGA 600B 600W PSU?

In which case it could be the issue, but I doubt it.

Have you done a SMART scan of the HDD? That could bring up issues if it was to start failing when under load and having to read/write more.

Mecha_Face

Reputable
Dec 8, 2016

The PSU is actually called "EVGA 600W 80B", verbatim. Nothing more to the name than that. Bought at Best Buy when I REALLY needed a new PSU. A SMART scan revealed no issues. Since my last post I installed a new CPU fan, which worked perfectly, even without an external fan on it. Now it's gone back to shutting down whenever I do anything more strenuous than online chatting and youtube, even WITH an external fan blowing cold air in. I've confirmed that there's no overage of heat, the PSU is a good brand and model, the HDD is fine and all the fans inside are working. I just don't get it. Nothing should be causing this issue. I'm at my wit's end, here. I even held my fingers near the heat pipes of my hardware just to see if Speccy was giving me false info. Nope, not even the heat pipes are hot. The GPU's are warm but not hot. What is going on with this computer?!

Edit: I got the new CPU fan the day after I posted this topic, and then moved on because it was working. I figured it was just a bad CPU fan that wasn't absorbing any of the heat at all, hence why its heat pipes and heat sinks were always cold. But just today it came back in full force... No, worse than before. Where before I could play a game for about 30 minutes to an hour before the shutdown, now it's not even giving me five minutes. It's rendered my gaming PC completely unusable.