Intermittent single disruptions to one display

Oct 22, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm having a very strange issue, wherein the signal to my display intermittently seems to be disrupted, causing the display to go blank for ~1 second at a time. It quickly returns, without the display having time to show a no signal screen, but it is extremely intolerable due to the frequency (once or twice per minute, usually, with no consistent timing). I have searched this forum for answers pretty extensively, and see that a lot of people seem to have somewhat similar issues. However, I wanted to make a separate post for mine, since I seem to have some potential unique differences that might allow for more specific feedback.

First, here is a breakdown of my setup:
CPU: i7-7820X
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti
RAM: 64 GB
Display 1: LG 65" OLED TV running at 4K, connected via HDMI
Display 2: Dell 27" UltraSharp LED monitor running at QHD, connected via DisplayPort

So, the first unique thing to highlight is that my 27" monitor is the only one exhibiting this behavior. The video signal to my 4K TV is crisp and consistent, even when the video drops to the monitor, which makes me question the likelihood that the GPU itself is to blame.

The other detail, which I haven't seen explicitly mentioned in any similar posts, is that the vast majority of the time, the signal comes back on after blinking out as if nothing happened – it remains crystal-clear until the next disruption. Once in a while, though, it will go black and then return with a very particular sort of visual distortion. I haven't been able to capture a photo of it, but I can best describe it looking as if about half of the horizontal rows of pixels are black, interlaced with the other half rendering out correctly. It causes the image to look lower quality and significantly darker. This will remain until the next period of blinking off, after which it will come back just fine.

To preempt the obvious first things that are always suggested to check:
- I double checked the connections at both end of the DisplayPort cable
- I tried swapping in an identical replacement monitor
- I moved the monitor's power cable to a different outlet

Unfortunately, none of these made any difference.

Does anyone have thoughts on what the issue might be? One thing worth noting is that I am using a quite long DisplayPort cable – 30' (this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I6PRTQ). Is it possible this could be the culprit? People seem to be somewhat inconsistently split about how long a cable can be before you start to see single degradation. But if that's the case, would the signal work most of the time, before intermittently blinking out? Or would it just not work at all, once the single degraded?

I appreciate any suggestions or advice anyone might have.

Mar 18, 2019
I am experiencing the same type of disruption but my set up is much simpler, and my disruptions a dozen or so times over an evening, but not every time I'm on. I have an HP Pavillion notebook with an i5-6200U CPU@2.30 GHz, 12 GB RAM, 64-bit operating system. I have the problem most often when I am projecting to my TV via 25 ft. HDMI cable. But not always, sometimes I'm just working on the laptop. I'm not into gaming but do tend to have as many as 10+ windows in Chrome and 5-8 other apps open at the same time. I've tried closing apps/ windows but I'm not sure it makes a difference. My worry is that some part of the video is failing. The machine is about three years old and used nearly daily.

Thank you for any ideas on what, and how, to further diagnose this issue!

I am experiencing the same type of disruption but my set up is much simpler, and my disruptions a dozen or so times over an evening, but not every time I'm on. I have an HP Pavillion notebook with an i5-6200U CPU@2.30 GHz, 12 GB RAM, 64-bit operating system. I have the problem most often when I am projecting to my TV via 25 ft. HDMI cable. But not always, sometimes I'm just working on the laptop. I'm not into gaming but do tend to have as many as 10+ windows in Chrome and 5-8 other apps open at the same time. I've tried closing apps/ windows but I'm not sure it makes a difference. My worry is that some part of the video is failing. The machine is about three years old and used nearly daily.

Thank you for any ideas on what, and how, to further diagnose this issue!
Connect your laptop to a short 3-6 ft HDMI cable and see if the issue replicates.