[SOLVED] Intermittently lose internet over LAN connection only

cometpup

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
This has been happening for around 6 months and I had thought it was the LAN port on my motherboard acting up. However I have recently upgraded my computer with a new motherboard and CPU but the problem persists. I have
Hitron E31N2V1 Docsis 3.1 modem
Netgear r6700v3 router
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro motherboard
Ryzen 5 5600x CPU
Windows 10
Spectrum internet

I have tried a new ethernet cable, different LAN ports on the router, assigning a static IP, updated all my firmware and drivers for router and motherboard with nothing changing. I did a fresh install of windows when I upgraded on a new SSD. I borrowed a laptop and disabled wifi on it and plugged it into the router via ethernet to see if it lost internet when my PC did and it did not. I tried different ports but while my PC would lose internet the laptop never did. I made sure I had wifi disabled on the laptop but sure enough it was getting internet via ethernet. I will note that the laptop was running Windows 7. I've reached the limit of my troubleshooting ability. What I am doing at the time seems to have no influence on when the internet drops. I can be working, streaming or gaming and it doesn't matter. The weirdest thing about it is all I have to do is unplug the ethernet cable from my computer or the router and plug it right back in and the internet is back up in seconds. No need for any resets or anything. It's not a massive hassle most of the time but can be very frustrating if playing something online. I would appreciate any speculation as to what might be causing these random disconnects as I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Solution
You're done some great troubleshooting and at this point there's only two culprits I can think of--OS or the hardware.

To test if it's the OS, boot up a linux live cd/usb and see if you have any drops there. If not, it's definitely a windows software issue.

To test the hardware, get a usb ethernet dongle and try it--it works fine under windows--definitely a hardware issue. If it only works under the linux live environment, then both your windows software and your nic hardware are borked. :( But at least a cheap little usb nic is the solution to the hardware issue.

kanewolf

Titan
This has been happening for around 6 months and I had thought it was the LAN port on my motherboard acting up. However I have recently upgraded my computer with a new motherboard and CPU but the problem persists. I have
Hitron E31N2V1 Docsis 3.1 modem
Netgear r6700v3 router
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro motherboard
Ryzen 5 5600x CPU
Windows 10
Spectrum internet

I have tried a new ethernet cable, different LAN ports on the router, assigning a static IP, updated all my firmware and drivers for router and motherboard with nothing changing. I did a fresh install of windows when I upgraded on a new SSD. I borrowed a laptop and disabled wifi on it and plugged it into the router via ethernet to see if it lost internet when my PC did and it did not. I tried different ports but while my PC would lose internet the laptop never did. I made sure I had wifi disabled on the laptop but sure enough it was getting internet via ethernet. I will note that the laptop was running Windows 7. I've reached the limit of my troubleshooting ability. What I am doing at the time seems to have no influence on when the internet drops. I can be working, streaming or gaming and it doesn't matter. The weirdest thing about it is all I have to do is unplug the ethernet cable from my computer or the router and plug it right back in and the internet is back up in seconds. No need for any resets or anything. It's not a massive hassle most of the time but can be very frustrating if playing something online. I would appreciate any speculation as to what might be causing these random disconnects as I'm not really sure where to go from here.
That motherboard has 2.5Gbit ethernet. There have been problems with drivers for that hardware.

You're done some great troubleshooting and at this point there's only two culprits I can think of--OS or the hardware.

To test if it's the OS, boot up a linux live cd/usb and see if you have any drops there. If not, it's definitely a windows software issue.

To test the hardware, get a usb ethernet dongle and try it--it works fine under windows--definitely a hardware issue. If it only works under the linux live environment, then both your windows software and your nic hardware are borked. :( But at least a cheap little usb nic is the solution to the hardware issue.

Solution