Question Internal Blu-Ray optical drive made external?

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
I really don't want to put a blu ray optical drive in my new gaming PC. Every external usb Blu-ray player has bad reviews and major issues. I was wondering if there is a way to make an internal Blu-ray drive become external without an enclosure/secondary powersource. I have a USB-SATA cable but apparently USB cant output enough power. What kind of solution is available for this issue?

I really don't want to put a blu ray optical drive in my new gaming PC. Every external usb Blu-ray player has bad reviews and major issues. I was wondering if there is a way to make an internal Blu-ray drive become external without an enclosure/secondary powersource. I have a USB-SATA cable but apparently USB cant output enough power. What kind of solution is available for this issue?
Only a Blueray made for laptops can run on 5v from USB, others will need a separate suppčy of 12vdc. External ones use same machines as internals anyway, I doubt you'd get anything better or worse.

monitorlizard

Reputable
Aug 5, 2018
Sorry, but that internal drive you wish to make external requires a wall power connection.
It is wanting a 12v signal, which USB cannot provide.

Put it in an enclosure.

monitorlizard

Reputable
Aug 5, 2018
That doesn't help
Your options:

1. Install that internal bluray drive internally
  2. Obtain a USB enclosure with wall power to put it in
  3. Cut a hole in the side of your case to snake out the SATA data and power cable, turning your otherwise internal drive into an "external bluray drive"
  4. Obtain a broken laptop with a bluray drive. Disassemble it and extract the drive. This may or may not run on USB only, so you may have to do this a couple of times.
  5. Build a small PC with an external facing 5.25" drive mount. Put the bluray drive in that. Hide this PC in a cabinet out in the garage, and access it over your LAN. Result? No offending bluray drive where you can see it.
  6. Buy an external bluray drive, as linked above.
  7. Give up all hope of using a bluray drive with this PC.

Reactions: ConanLock

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
Your options:

1. Install that internal bluray drive internally
  2. Obtain a USB enclosure with wall power to put it in
  3. Cut a hole in the side of your case to snake out the SATA data and power cable, turning your otherwise internal drive into an "external bluray drive"
  4. Obtain a broken laptop with a bluray drive. Disassemble it and extract the drive. This may or may not run on USB only, so you may have to do this a couple of times.
  5. Build a small PC with an external facing 5.25" drive mount. Put the bluray drive in that. Hide this PC in a cabinet out in the garage, and access it over your LAN. Result? No offending bluray drive where you can see it.
  6. Buy an external bluray drive, as linked above.
  7. Give up all hope of using a bluray drive with this PC.

USB can output 5V.
The Blu Ray drive demands 12.
5 x 3 = 15
15 > 12
Is there a cable I can get that has 3 male USB ends, that convert into one SATA end. Sure it would take up 3 of my USB ports but whatever

TRENDING THREADS