Internal clock speed

when I am running programmes including Typeitin the speed of pc can change

in extreme examples it slows down so much that a re-boot is the only cure or
a 120 second counts down takes less than a second

I didnt have this problem prior to installing service pack 2, is this the
cause ?

"wrp" <wrp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when I am running programmes including Typeitin the speed of pc can
> change
>
> in extreme examples it slows down so much that a re-boot is the only
> cure or a 120 second counts down takes less than a second
>
> I didnt have this problem prior to installing service pack 2, is this
> the cause ?

Good Post:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Getting Your Post Noticed -- and Answered
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp
How Not to Get Help in Newsgroups

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 07:30:01 -0800, wrp wrote:

> when I am running programmes including Typeitin the speed of pc can change
>
> in extreme examples it slows down so much that a re-boot is the only cure or
> a 120 second counts down takes less than a second
>
> I didnt have this problem prior to installing service pack 2, is this the
> cause ?

Is this a portable system? Some of the mobile processors will operate on a
slide scale - less cpu cycles for lightweight tasks will preserve the life
of the battery.

However, what you're describing sounds more like a bottleneck. A "backup"
of processing tasks -- each waiting their turn to make it through the
available data pipelines. While XP is not sensitive to resource use in the
same way as Win9x was, it can only perform within the parameters of the
hardware provided. Examples: Not enough RAM will cause more paging and
limiting the page file can stonewall performance at unexpected times.

Suggestions: Using "let windows manage" in the memory management section of
system properties> Advanced, works best for most situations. You can use
Task Manager to pinpoint what programs are demanding more CPU cycles, which
are using more RAM. End task on heavy hitters when you are going to work
with a heavy duty program.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User