Internal desktop ODD as external to laptop

venky262

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
Hi,

I have been looking for a decent BD burner mainly for backup purposes. It seems as though desktop BD burners have much higher write speed compared to the slim-line ones. I was wondering if I can power up and run a internal desktop SATA ODD as external to a laptop using a eSATA to SATA cable? I got this cable specifically to connect a SATA 2.5' HDD to the eSATA port.
Is the ODD SATA port different from the HDD SATA port? Also will there be enough power from the laptop? The eSATA cable has a y-cable, which has another USB port for power.

Thanks!

Solution
Hey there, Venky262.

I'm afraid that you might need an external power source if you're going for that kind of external optical drive. Basically some of them even come with a a Y USB cable (one end for power and one for data and power). You could try using a SATA to USB adapter which can be externally powered as the SATA ports are the same for SSDs/HDDs and optical drives. However, I'd strongly recommend that when you are set on a specific Blu-ray burner, that you call the manufacturer's customer support to ask specifically if the model in question can be used the way you plan on using it.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, Venky262.

I'm afraid that you might need an external power source if you're going for that kind of external optical drive. Basically some of them even come with a a Y USB cable (one end for power and one for data and power). You could try using a SATA to USB adapter which can be externally powered as the SATA ports are the same for SSDs/HDDs and optical drives. However, I'd strongly recommend that when you are set on a specific Blu-ray burner, that you call the manufacturer's customer support to ask specifically if the model in question can be used the way you plan on using it.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

venky262

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
Thanks Boogieman_WD. After some more digging around, I came up with a similar solution. I figure this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/DiGiYes%C2%AE-Drive-Converter-Adapter-Supply/dp/B0197MJ01G/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t) will get the job done. Only question is that the max output of the adapter is 2A, while the device has a max of 2.5A, but only during startup of a disc. I could not find a power supply with a larger Amperage. Any comments on this? Thanks.

Well, I wouldn't risk it if it can't give the required power output even if it's just for spin-up. Unfortunately as an official WD rep, I can't really offer any specific devices that are not under the WD hood.

Perhaps (and hopefully) someone else from the community will take a look at the thread and suggest a few options.

TRENDING THREADS