Internal drive in an enclosure trouble...

thestevo

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Hey all, I searched to try and find some info but I couldn't find an answer to my problem. I recently bought a ADS Tech USB 2.0 Drive Kit along with a Maxtor 300GB Harddrive. My problem is this - Windows XP is recognizing a USB Mass Storage Device being connected, but the drive is not appearing anywhere on the computer. I've gone into disk management but nothing appears. I have the jumper set to Master. I'm lost as to what to do from here, any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

NewbieTechGod

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Hey all, I searched to try and find some info but I couldn't find an answer to my problem. I recently bought a ADS Tech USB 2.0 Drive Kit along with a Maxtor 300GB Harddrive. My problem is this - Windows XP is recognizing a USB Mass Storage Device being connected, but the drive is not appearing anywhere on the computer. I've gone into disk management but nothing appears. I have the jumper set to Master. I'm lost as to what to do from here, any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

I did some searching, too, for info on your enclosure. Turns out it is discontinued.

Anyhow, and I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but there is a power switch on the back, so make sure it is in the on position.

Next, if the enclosure has external power, you may need to use it. The USB port itself may not be providing enough power.

Make sure that the USB hub is powered. You may have to utitilize a USB port that is directly connected to your MB. If connecting to an external hub, you may have to use external power on it (the hub), as well.

I have an external USB enclosure for an old notebook drive. I pulled out the drive to look at it and noticed that there was no jumper attached, so try removing any jumpers on your disk.

Hope this helps.

Most drives enclosures do like to see Master. I would say try it with NO jumpers(been a while since i used a maxtor). Also as mentioned above you NEED power and the device on. If you could try it in the computer to make sure the drive is good it would not hurt. if ide just replace the CD rom for a sec(would seem to be as u say master).

@ all
And since there are no 300 laptop drives(yet) it has to be a desktop drive :)

Hope this helps