Internal Hard Disk:Healthy, Online, but no drive letter hence no access

josephobrien

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2016
My local server broke down so I removed the two dynamic data hard disks from it to another PC. They used to be mirrored but the mirror broke 6 months ago so I just carried on with one of them (couldnt get the mirror back!).
One of the harddisks works fine in the new PC location. But is the disk which has the oldest data.
But the other is proving very problematic. And it has the new data in it.
It cannot be seen in explorer.
However, it can be seen in the computer management console (storage>disk management) but has no drive letter. When I right click the area, I have a few options - ... properties....offline...change drive letter. The latter will not work, Virtual Disk Manager states ' the system cannot find the file specified'.
A simple google search reveals numerous threads on the internet about how to reassign the drive letter. This often applies to external USB hard disks.
This relies on the use of DISKPART, run as administrator.
The commands are simple enough. :
1) select disk 1
2) select partition 1
3) assign letter=E
But I get the same error.

Google throws up many ideas to solve this, some involve editing the registry.
None have worked.
My last hope is to boot up using a linux live CD of some sort and copy the data off one disk on to the other.
Has anyone any other tips?
I have also tried using the set id command in DISKPART to try and wake it up but that doesnt work
I have also tried the AUTOMOUNT and that didnt work either...
any useful tips gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
linux live CD is a good option. also you should take another look at diskpart. start diskpart, type in help, review all the options. active, select, assign, automount, rescan . . .all things you can try

josephobrien

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2016

Thanks. I have created a pendrive linux with multiple distros on it (puppy, lubuntu, ultimatebootcd,)
If i can copy the data off, then Im ok.

TRENDING THREADS