Internal hard drive disconnecting then reconnecting

Jun 1, 2018
So, I have 2 hard drives in my computer, a 75GB and a 3TB, 75GB for Win10 and apps, 3TB for games, music, etc. recently, I've been having issues where my 3TB supposedly "disconnects" and reconnects some time later, yesterday I got an "unexpected_store_exception" BSOD which I'm assuming was my 75GB "disconnecting", I know for a fact it isn't a SATA cable or HDD issue as the hard drive and the SATA cables work in another computer, I've also tried other cables and I'm out of ideas, unless it's a problem with the MoBo in which case, I have no idea how to fix it

stdragon

Admirable
If you've already run vendor specific HDD diagnostics, and they all pass in addtion to this only being a problem with your motherboard and not another.... It's probably a failing PSU or MB.

If the HDDs aren't being fed enough power from the PSU, they can drop offline even if momentarily.

Jun 1, 2018

neither the PSU nor MoBo have ever had anything like this happen, neither have had any changes since I first built this PC

stdragon

Admirable

Doesn't mean these things don't happen. You could have taken every precaution, and yet, a hardware failure will occur.

Borrow a PSU and see if that clears up the issue. If it does, you know where the problem is.

Jun 1, 2018

The hard drives would be the first to crash? I would assume that the GPU would crash before the HDDs

stdragon

Admirable

Not always. If you have a faulty rail, that could cause more specific power related issues with various bits of hardware.

Jun 1, 2018

I also read that it could be a driver problem, could that be the case? I'd rather not buy a new PSU if I don't need to

stdragon

Admirable
A driver problem? Possible if there's a resource conflict. But I've personally never ran into that situation you've described that could have caused by it. Perhaps others on this forum have and can chime in.

If you want to rule out this being a software issue. Try playing around with a boot-able Linux (Ubuntu) environment installed on a USB flash drive. Boot from it, then see if any of your drives drop out. That way, you don't risk messing something up in your Windows OS unnecessarily.

Edit: Follow this link below on how to make a bootable Ubuntu flash drive. The instructions are real easy.

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0

TRENDING THREADS