Question Internal Hard Drive Issue!

Dec 5, 2020
I moved all my PC components to a new case the other day, plugged everything back in exactly how it was in the old case. Since ive done so when i went to my PC my 3.5 inch WD Black wasn't showing up. I went in to see if it was in the bios, it wasnt. So then i load back into windows and head over to Disk Management and I can see the device there, but its Unknown, and Unallocated. I tried going Initialize Disk and was getting I/O error. So I opened up diskpart and tried from there and was also getting I/O error from within there.
Finally, I opened the case up while the PC was on and unplugged the SATA power connection and then replugged it back in and the HD worked... until i shut my computer off. Then to get it to work i have to unplug it and plug it back in to be able to get to anything saved on the drive. Whats the deal with this? I never had problems before in the other case, now this is just a headache! What can i do to make it work when i boot my computer without unplugging the sata power and plugging it back in?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Did the new case include any RGB features? Make and model case?

Try replacing both the data and power cables to the drive.

It could be that the CMOS battery needs replacement. Have you noted any problems/errors with system date and time?

Reactions: Ransoms
Dec 5, 2020
Motherboard - Asus Maximus XII Formula
CPU - Intel i9 10900k
Cooler - Custom Loop
GPU - Asus ROG Strix 3090 OC
RAM - GSkill Trident Z 3600 C16
Power Supply - Asus Thor 1200W
SSD - WD Blue 2TB/Samsung 970 Evo/WD Black Internal HD 4TB
Case - Lian Li O11 Dynamic Black

Edit: Problem was resolved replacing the sata power cable.

Last edited: