Question Internal hard drive on laptop only occasionally working

May 20, 2019
I've had an ASUS Vivobook F510ua for about 3 months now with no issues.

Suddenly the past couple days i've noticed that sometimes the HDD will not work. I will log in and it will say D:/Desktop is unavailable and has been moved or deleted,or whenever I try and view something on it like pictures it will say "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error"

However,sometimes when I log on,everything will work normal. My HDD works fine,everything on it is fine.

I've noticed sometimes when I boot my laptop up,sometimes the HDD will start to run,then will turn off. Other times the HDD will just not completely turn on,and other times it will run normally like it should.

I do not know what the problem is. I haven't dropped my laptop or hit it real hard or shook it real hard or anything. Just one day suddenly my HDD was not working like it should.

There are diagnostic utilities widely available like Seatools though this is either a failing drive or something is amiss in the motherboard. The former is much more likely. How much stuff is on that drive, and how much is really important. I'd strongly suggest backing anything on that drive up. This you should be doing anyway, as drives fail all the time and can go without warning.

TRENDING THREADS