Internal hard drive reading cyclic redundancy error

iGreen997

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016
Recently installed win7 on a ssd and used it as a boot drive. Was using a 2tb hdd as storage. Unhooked SATA cable to test another hdd but left power cable attached. Since then the 2tb hdd has been showing up under disk management as unintializedd and when I try to initialize I receive a cyclic redundancy error message. How do I fix this?

Solution
Unfortunately, it all points to a possible failure. You did pretty good with the troubleshooting, but as @drtweak has mentioned CRC errors are usually pretty a bad sign. :\

I'd recommend that you try to RMA the drive if it's still under warranty, by contacting the vendor you got it from or the manufacturer. If you need to recover data, the best option (having in mind your current situation) would probably be a data recovery company.
Hey there, iGreen997.

Try connecting it with different cables or with a different computer if you have that option. You should also download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and try testing the drive, although it's quite possible for it not to be able to recognize the HDD if it's not initialized.

You could also give it a go with the suggestions from this article: http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Cyclic-Redundancy-Check-Error

Let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

iGreen997

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016

Tried new cables and plugging the cables into different SATA ports still received cyclic error. Tried a different computer but computer did not recognize the hdd. Unable to use the troubleshooting help in the link because hdd does not show in computer folder.

Unfortunately, it all points to a possible failure. You did pretty good with the troubleshooting, but as @drtweak has mentioned CRC errors are usually pretty a bad sign. :\

I'd recommend that you try to RMA the drive if it's still under warranty, by contacting the vendor you got it from or the manufacturer. If you need to recover data, the best option (having in mind your current situation) would probably be a data recovery company.

Solution