Internal Hard drive sound

DevilSoul

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
I have a WD blue internal Hard drive of 1 TB. The hard drive makes a sound for about 30 min of starting the PC and the sound reduces later but not completely. Do I have a problem with my hard drive ??
The sound is like "putting a metal ball in a metal pipe" and inclining the pipe from left to right..

Solution
Hey there, DevilSoul.

Sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your drive. :(

The guys are right, you should backup your important data as soon as possible, just to be on the safe side. After that go ahead and download DLG (as already suggested) and run both tests (Quick and Extended), just to see what's the situation with the drive. Here's how to do it: How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows. Give it a go with a different SATA port and cables, just for the sake of it.

Please let me us know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, DevilSoul.

Sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your drive. :(

The guys are right, you should backup your important data as soon as possible, just to be on the safe side. After that go ahead and download DLG (as already suggested) and run both tests (Quick and Extended), just to see what's the situation with the drive. Here's how to do it: How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows. Give it a go with a different SATA port and cables, just for the sake of it.

Please let me us know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

DevilSoul

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

Thanks. Will test it. :)

DevilSoul

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

Sure bud. Will test and let you know. Thanks :):pt1cable:

DevilSoul

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

I tested with WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows, but it didn't showed any errors. It showed pass. ran both test, extended and quick test.but whenever I download from Internet or copy files it makes sound. My previous Seagate hdd didn't had any kind of sounds.

DevilSoul

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

yeah it makes sound only when exceuting a program like opening a game, copying files, downloading (it makes a lot of sound while downloading) . Checked but no loose parts found.

DevilSoul

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

Will check again and thanks for the link, will check the steps to see if anything is faulty. But my hdd doesn't make sound while in idle condition. the sound is zero, it only makes sound while executing a program.

I see. So it seems like the drive is running fine and error free. Perhaps this is the normal noise emitted by the drive while under heavier load. If it's a 7200RPM model it's also normal to be a bit less quiet than a 5400RPM drive for example.

Please let me know if anything else comes up.

DevilSoul

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

I had a seagate on my old desktop and it made zero sound. This new hdd sound is quite annoying. Still I'll go and see the service centre and they can guide me better as in person. Here I may not able to make my problem clear and you didn't heard the sound and i guess you are also not able to get the problem unless you see it in person and say whether it's a fault of the hdd or not. But still many thanks for the info.:bounce:

So it passed that is a little strange. The drive is probably failing but still working good enough to pass their test. I would be sure it is not in an critical use like a boot drive. Back up anything important on it and any new stuff you load on it and ride it out I guess.

DevilSoul

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

I tried putting my old hdd in my new case but as my old hdd doesn't have OS installed so it doesn't run. And one more old hdd i have but it is too old and it doesn't support in my new system. it is supported via optical cables and not SATA cables and my new system doesn't support optical cables..

DevilSoul

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

yeah it's strange. But I guess it's my cabinet that vibrates due to hdd revolution, I checked putting my hdd outside my cabinet and running the PC and it made very little noise, almost negligible (which I guess is acceptable noise ) but when I again put it back in my cabinet it starts making that annoying noise again.
Cabinet - THERMALTAKE VERSA N26

DevilSoul

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

Can you PM me your email or anything where I can send you a sound clip of my hdd noise.
i do not have a youtube channel to post you a link.