[SOLVED] Internal harddrive randomly reconnects?

DarqFX

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017
So my windows in on my ssd but I also have a hdd to store any large files but im finding that it will randomly come up saying a message something like "new D: drive choose what happens with this drive" . As if i've only just connected it? it's clearly disconnected and immediately reconnecting but after googling i cant find anything to solve this. Ive tried different sata cables and mounting it firmly but it just keeps doing it. is it time to buy a new drive?

Solution
No question about it - back up your data...

A "few months at most left" - not likely.

A stuck arm is a physical issue that is only going to worsen and just a couple of degrees in temperature change may fatally destroy the drive.

And your data.

My recommendation is to not let the problem fester....

Be proactive. Get a new drive.

DarqFX

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Make and model drives? Do you have an optical drive?

What do you see in Disk Management? Are you able to post an image.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html
https://prnt.sc/pflfcg
theres a screenshot of disk management

full specs:
windows 10 home
samsung evo 250gb ssd
seagate st1000d barracuda 1tb hard drive
gtx 1060 6gb
ryzen 5 2600
8gb ddr4 corsair
b450 gaming plus MB

DarqFX

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017
Run Seagate's Seatools on the 1TB Barracuda drive.

Download the tool via Seagate's website.
Computer failed the seagate tests but the bootable seagate thing didnt manage to fix the problems. I have since fixed the problem and it turns out it was the arm stuck on the platter that was causing the harddrive all the issues.

Ralston18

Titan
Good to know. I am curious about what fix you applied....

In any case, I am compelled to ask: have you backed up your data on the drive and verified that the backed up data is recoverable and readable?

A stuck arm does not bode well and the arm may get permanently stuck next time.

DarqFX

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017
Good to know. I am curious about what fix you applied....

In any case, I am compelled to ask: have you backed up your data on the drive and verified that the backed up data is recoverable and readable?

A stuck arm does not bode well and the arm may get permanently stuck next time.
I didn't think about that actually, maybe I should back up my data. However it's mostly just games and renders so it's not too important. The fix was watching a tutorial on how to rotate the arm back to its functional position. The main reason I wanted this fixed is because if I tried to play any game on that harddrive, it would crash and it seemed to be struggling to read any files on the drive. So far it seems to be working but i'm not sure how long it will be until this drive completely fails, im assuming ive got a few months at most left of it.

Ralston18

Titan
No question about it - back up your data...

A "few months at most left" - not likely.

A stuck arm is a physical issue that is only going to worsen and just a couple of degrees in temperature change may fatally destroy the drive.

And your data.

My recommendation is to not let the problem fester....

Be proactive. Get a new drive.

Solution