Internal HD disappears when USB devices are plugged in

Wishyoudefeat

Honorable
May 18, 2013
I have been having an issue where my 2nd Internal HD has been vanishing. I cant seem to figure out why. Not showing up in device manager now. Only recent thing I did on the PC was plug in a few USB devices. So I unplugged one of the hubs I connected the other day and the drive came back after a reboot and seemed to be functioning again. So I think maybe the power supply isnt strong enough to power two hard drives and lots of USB devices. Today the drive dissapeared again. Going to unplug the other USB hub I have connected when I get home and see if the drive comes back after a reboot. If anyone has run into anything like this any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there Wishyoudefeat,

Can you check if the drive is spinning up at all?(open the computer case up) I believe the drive is not recognized by BIOS and Disk Management right?

I believe you can try to move the drive to another SATA port and use different SATA and power cables. In case the issue persists, assuming the drive is not even spinning up, then it could be caused by the PSU.

It will not hurt to update your MOBO drivers.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

Wishyoudefeat

Honorable
May 18, 2013

Hub is a 7 port 3.0 hub plugged into a 3.0 port on the back panel. It is indeed powered which I thought was weird that it might be drawing too much power.

Wishyoudefeat

Honorable
May 18, 2013

So I am at work and cant get to the PC at the moment but I will pop it open when i get home and take a look. Im pretty sure the drive is good as before I plugged in any other USB devices beside my mouse and keyboard it was doing a massive sync of Google Drive and trucking along like a champ. It actually occurred to me that this PC might have had a power supply replaced before and I might have put one in that isnt as strong as the one that was in there before by accident. I will also be checking that out. PC originally came with a 500w powersupply. I will go home and check the power supply specs to make sure its on par and then unplug the other USB hub and see if the drive comes back again. I also will check BIOS and see what it looks like. going to grab a couple SATA cables to rule that out too. Will update soon!

Wishyoudefeat

Honorable
May 18, 2013

That's what I was thinking also! My buddy here is convinced it is a faulty HD. I have another I'm also going to test tonight to see if it also disappears.