Question Internal HDD always losing its drive letter

Aug 3, 2021
Good morning/afternoon to whoever is reading this,
I've recently bought a new internal hard drive (WD Black 2.5", WD10SPSX-22A6WT0). I bought it unused.
My laptop runs on Windows 11 right now but the problem was the same when I was still on W10.

The problem is that almost one in two times I put my laptop to hibernate the drive loses it's letter (I've assigned the letter Z but it does the same with other letters).
I don't know if this problem is linked to the laptop or the drive since I don't have external HDD so I can't compare the results.
Sometimes it even loses its letter while I am using it so it doesn't happen only when I put it to sleep.
There isn't any data loss but it's bothersome to have to assign the letter every time...

I already verified the connection between the laptop and the drive but it changed nothing.
I'd be happy if anyone had a solution to avoid me opening disk management and assigning the drive letter every time.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The only time I have had a drive do anything like this was when it was faulty.

Might go in and check that you have it solidly connected to it's SATA and power plug as well as secured into the drive bay area properly. Aside from it not having a good connection I would consider it as a possible bad drive.

Aug 3, 2021
Have you contacted MS about this?

It may be a WIndows 11 issue, and this Win 11 preview is there to find issues like this.
I've already used MS support in the past and found out and most of my problems were solved on forums like this one so I seeked an answer here first.
In my post I said that I had the same problem before updating to W11 so it's not related to W11.

The only time I have had a drive do anything like this was when it was faulty.

Might go in and check that you have it solidly connected to it's SATA and power plug as well as secured into the drive bay area properly. Aside from it not having a good connection I would consider it as a possible bad drive.
As I said I have already checked this and it's well connected and well secured.
The only possible reason is that it would be a faulty drive but I hope it's not and that this problem could be solved using some commands or anything.