Question Internal HDD disconnects & reconnects when in use and makes sound ?

Sep 3, 2021
My 1TB Seagate Sata HDD keeps disconnecting and reconnecting.

It started after playing a game instead of me closing it, the game just disappeared so I checked it again and tried to open it but the file were not found cause my games are on the HDD. After that incident didn't really noticed it again after I tried to play a game again and it cannot run as the files were missing and Drive D disappeared and then reappeared again but whenever I try to run an app that is in the HDD it would continue to disappear and reappear until I restart my PC then it would function normal again. I got concerned and checked my HDD under HDTune and Seatools all the results show ok and no sector damaged, no raw reallocated sector data. I don't even know why when I was scanning the Drive for errors in HDTune it didn't disconnect as it was underload.

I don't know what might be the problem and the motherboard seems fine as I don't experience any blue screens plus my m.2 sata ssd where my windows is located is functioning well, it's really just my HDD is the one that seems to disconnect and reconnect underload.
Also tried other Sata Cables and port same result.

HDD sounds like this when problem occurs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FAwdQZSAslZ6Eeyj3l2Z8AxI8DogTCiU/view?usp=drivesdk

Sep 3, 2021
Is it common for a drive to die in just a year? As for the model idk what it was but I can't rma it anymore.
Just wanted to know if the drive is dying as Im going to upgrade to an m.2 nvme and didn't want to waste money buying then finding out other part is the issue.

froggx

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
I wouldn't say it's common for a drive to die in a year, but it's not exactly uncommon either, at least for consumer level drives. I've had plenty of mechanical HDD's go to hell without any kind of SMART warning. The noises coming from them tends to be a more reliable indicator than anything else. If I hear anything besides a slight electrical whine when the motor spins up, maybe a little whirring, I know I'm probably about to rebuild a RAID.

Sep 3, 2021
I can't really risk on looking at it in HDTune as I disabled the sata drive in bios, I haven't cloned it yet and I don't want to risk it dying before cloning it.

Also, is there a safe way to clone it because I will try to use Macrium but the drive might disconnect in the middle of cloning.

I can't really risk on looking at it in HDTune as I disabled the sata drive in bios, I haven't cloned it yet and I don't want to risk it dying before cloning it.

Also, is there a safe way to clone it because I will try to use Macrium but the drive might disconnect in the middle of cloning.
Try to clone it.
If the clone works your done
If it does not.... reload your games to the new disk.

TRENDING THREADS