Internal HDD not detected in BIOS

Nilex

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
Hallo guys,

Ive got some issues with 3 hard drives. Last Friday I moved into another house. And decided to connect my computer last night. Booted without any problems. But when I wanted to check out some data. I realised my hard drives aren't detected. I got 2 ssds and 3 hard drives. Both ssds are connected and detected, but none of the hard drives are, I've tried replacing one of the ssds with a hdd to check if it's the power cable, nope, placed the ssd on on the hdd cable, yup. I've tried multiple ways none worked, sata cables are working as well. Reseted bios, updated stuff, nothing works. I've no idea, I also went to a friend earlier today and they didn't come up in the BIOS. About to die cus none of em 3 are working. It's a pretty weird situation.

Don't tell me you think all 3 of em might have died while moving them over because me and friends do this a lot, (lan) and we move em in the original boxes, neither I had obstacles on the road, it was a 4KM road right aside the water

Hi there Nilex,

Do these even power up? In case the cables are long enough you should be able to take the drives out of the case and boot up your system.
It's good that you've tried using different cables. Yet, I think that you need to attach the HDDs to different SATA ports as well. Just take your non OS SSD out and place one of the HDDs on its place.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Nilex

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
Hello, D know WD,
I have tried putting one of the HDDs with the cables of the non os SSD and also test every possible sata and power cable on one of the HDDs, no result, not in the BIOS. Ive no idea of they power on. Im sort of deaf, do you got any other ideas i should they before going to the store tomorrow?

If we assume that this is not a cable related issue(as you've tried different cables), and the drives do not appear even in BIOS, then I guess that there may be something wrong with the MOBO. It may e a good idea to contact a repair shop.
It is highly unlikely to have three failed drives.

D_Know_WD

Nilex

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
I just got back from a friend of mine. Neither the drives are working on his computer. I'm crying tears, it is so weird that all three of em are not working.

Thank you ;-) ps. Two of em are WDs

Nilex

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

Auw man, I'm so sad right now. It is still weird that all three died, I've no idea where they could've got damaged, the road isn't bad at all. Oh well, I can keep crying but that won't get my data back. Knowing that I spent a lot of time last week in organising my drives, and I had plans after moving to buy a nas or separate backup disks, makes me cry even more :(

Thank you for your time. I still have some hope for tomorrow and if not, does guarantee work in this case? I bought one of em a 3tb in September :(

Regards Nilex

Nilex

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
According to the store, they think a power cable caused the crash. I wonder and forgot to ask if just the controller or the whole disk is broken. Would it be possible to replace the controller and still access the drive?

They are feeding you "you know what" because it would have to feed it a lot of over voltage to burn electronics. Bad cable/connection may cause some data corruption but will not burn anything.
On SATA drives it's virtually impossible to change boards at home level.

Nilex

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

My english inst that good. Is it possible to translate that into basic English xD
It is not that it got burned. They think the cable wasn't fully or correctly inserted in the psu.

Nilex

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

Well not really, I've tried it, friends pc and the store tested it so. No, no sign of living. Still confused all 3 died, it has a point that it might have died cause of cable connecting. But if the controller doesn't get enough power. It wouldn't kill the drive as well would it?

Nilex

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

Yeah it's a corsair ax860i

Well, don't know what else to tell you, you tried them, they tried them and they are not working with no chance to actually repair them, If you have some very, very important files, there are services that can get them out but it's usually very expensive affair.
Only to check if you can get new ones on warranty. They can always pull the excuse that they are physically damaged though. Will not cost you to try, you never know.

Nilex

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

Yeah. Well thank you for your time. These services are always expensive so I'm just gonna live with it. I've got a red 3TB in return for my 3tb green. I've still got the 2 others and maybe one day.. ;-)
I think I had the latest documents on one of my few usbs. The things I will miss are all off my backups, pictures, any sort of downloads, other documents, music, movies most of them are footage

Thank you, regards Nilex

Nilex

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

It's a pain. I'm only 22 so money doesn't roll yet to buy enough disks and setup a raid. ;-) I know this will be. A must have! ;-)