Internal HDD & OS Questions

hbagchi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Hey guys,

I have an internal HDD that came with a Dell desktop I bought a few years back. I want to take this HDD and use it while building a new comp (everything will be bought new except the HDD). The HDD is a Maxtor Calypso 6Y160P0 (PATA - Ultra ATA 133).

My questions:

1. Will the OS (XP Home) work with the new parts? I still have the OEM XP disc Dell gave me.

2. What is the difference between PATA ATA100 2 Dev. Max and 4 Dev. Max? Which one do I need for my HDD?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! In case this has been answered somewhere else in the forums, you can just put a link to it.

Cheers!

hb

Solution
The drive will work fine, even though it is old/slow by todays drive standards.
Your problem is your DELL OEM OS, it will not install on anything but a system with a Dell motherboard. You will have to buy a new version of Windows.
You might get it to install, if you do your are very lucky. But even if you do, then it will not activate.
The drive will work fine, even though it is old/slow by todays drive standards.
Your problem is your DELL OEM OS, it will not install on anything but a system with a Dell motherboard. You will have to buy a new version of Windows.
You might get it to install, if you do your are very lucky. But even if you do, then it will not activate.

Solution