[SOLVED] Internal HDD unallocated after installion in new PC

jordow47

Honorable
Mar 6, 2018
I recently upgraded my PC and with this did a fresh install of windows. I wanted to temporarly connect my old HDD's to transfer the data over to the new m.2 that I have, but the HDD isn't showing in the file explorer. It is however showing up in disk management but as "unallocated".
I have tried some data recovery programs but they ask for absurd amounts of money, but my data is still there. I have also tried using DMDE and again my files are displayed, and I would be happy paying for a licence, but wanted to check on here first in case anyone had any ideas that may allow me to get the drive up and running with all the old data still intact. I do not want to format this drive!

Thanks!

Solution
Double-click Design and expand the $Root. If you see your files and folders, now would be a good time to recover them to another drive.

Alternatively we can try for an in-place repair. It appears that you have initialised your drive, so you have a new MS Reserved partition which overlaps the old Design partition.

R-click the MS partition and select "Remove the partition".

R-click the Design partition and select "Insert the partition (undelete)".

Then Apply changes and reboot to allow Windows to reexamine the drive.
I recently upgraded my PC and with this did a fresh install of windows. I wanted to temporarly connect my old HDD's to transfer the data over to the new m.2 that I have, but the HDD isn't showing in the file explorer. It is however showing up in disk management but as "unallocated".
I have tried some data recovery programs but they ask for absurd amounts of money, but my data is still there. I have also tried using DMDE and again my files are displayed, and I would be happy paying for a licence, but wanted to check on here first in case anyone had any ideas that may allow me to get the drive up and running with all the old data still intact. I do not want to format this drive!

Thanks!
May I Suggest you to use Testdisk to Recover your Data(Completely Free)
Here is a guide so you could use Testdisk..
Here:https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Use TestDisk With Admin Rights

But,May I Ask If you How did You Connect Your HDD to Your PC? (USB to Sata Etc)

Keep Us Updated
:)

Last edited:

jordow47

Honorable
Mar 6, 2018
No software yet.

What are the specs on both systems?
What is the make/model/size of this drive?

Thanks for your response!

My current system is:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
MOBO: Aorus x570 I PRO WIFI
GPU: GTX 1080
RAM: 2 x Corsair Vengance Pro 8GB, 3200mhz
M.2: 256GB Gigabyte m.2 nvme ssd & Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
PSU: Corsair sfx 600w

My old system:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
MOBO: Aorus B450 pro
GPU: GTX 1080
RAM: 2 x Corsair Vengance Pro 8GB, 3200mhz
M.2: 256GB Gigabyte m.2 nvme ssd
HDD: WD 750GB, 2 x 250GB HDD (Unsure on make, but they were basic)
PSU: EVGA GQ 1000W

The drive in question is a Western Digital (WD 7500AAKS) 750GB HDD and it was working literally yesterday morning before I moved components from the old system to the new. Unsure as to why it's not showing data in windows file explorer.

jordow47

Honorable
Mar 6, 2018
And you've verified there is no conflict between the M.2 drive and the SATA port you're using?
This would be outlined in the user manual if needed.

I can't see that it's saying there is any conflict, unless im missing something. All it says is stuff about RAID configuration which I don't believe I am using since im not 100% on what that is haha.
I found a pdf version of the manual if you're able to check?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_x570-i-aorus-pro-wifi_1002_e.pdf

Double-click Design and expand the $Root. If you see your files and folders, now would be a good time to recover them to another drive.

Alternatively we can try for an in-place repair. It appears that you have initialised your drive, so you have a new MS Reserved partition which overlaps the old Design partition.

Solution

tombraiderfanatic

Honorable
Mar 24, 2015
Is it possible that on your old mobo you had the SATA mode set to RAID mode and on the new board it is set to AHCI or vice versa?
If so changing it to be the same as on the old mobo should fix it.
I had this same problem mysele once.

jordow47

Honorable
Mar 6, 2018

I managed to see all my files yesterday after tinkering with DMDE after you had told me about it. Using your advise on other peoples similar threads I used the "Insert the Partition (Undelete)" and rebooted and the drive was up and running. Luckily I only needed it to transfer it's data across to my new NVME. All is well now, thank you so much for your help!