Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012
Heya,

My OS is on 100GB SSD
My Internal HDD is Unallocated
HDD is Disk0, SSD is Disk1

C: (showing the SSD's amount of space)
D: (just the CD writer)

I want to allocate the HDD so my C: isn't so small and I actually have a path to install every-day programs to...

I'm in Computer Management > Disk Management, and I see
(C:)
12-670-01-1 (D:)
System Reserve

I assume the System reserve is Disk0, the HDD.

Where do I go from here? And should I, after all is said and done, have only my OS in the SSD? I do have all updates, java, chrome, blah-blah-blah so far installed; maybe I shouldn't go any further until I figure this out...

Don't know much about computers, so thank you,

Solution
That explains it! Right click in the 'unallocated'-field, create a partition and format it with NTFS. You can delete the drive letter E: from the system reserved partition before that and assign it to the CD-ROM. All by right clicking in the respective partition.
The 'System Reserve ' is a small partition at the beginning of your SSD. The boot manager sit located there. Dont touch this! :wahoo:
The grafical representation below the table givs you more information what's on which disc. At the moment it seems to me your HDD is not recognized by the system. Do you see it in the bios splash screen at startup? Is it connected to power and sata port?

jam wan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012
(C : ) Simple, NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
12-670-01-1 (D : ) Simple, CDFS, Healthy (Primary Partition)
System Reserve Simple, NTFS, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

Below:

Disk 0
Basic
931.51 GB (the HDD I believe)
System Reserve (E : )
100 MB NTFS
931.41 GB Unallocated

Disk 1
Basic
111.79 GB
(C : )
111.79 GB NTFS

CD-ROM 0
DVD
809 MB
12-670-01-1 (D : )
809 MB CDFS

It looks like whatever System Reserve is, which I mistakenly set to "E:", is the HDD. Or at least a piece of it (100 MB).

Disk 0 is no doubt the HDD though, right? 931.51 GB...

And concerning your questions: If the splash screen is the screen where you are able to "Del" and go into Bios, then yes. And I have three wires going into my sata port; HDD, SSD, and DVD, all recognized by the system it seems but not really when I'm actually 'in' it... I don't know how to explain, sorry. I guess it doesn't show when trying to install something onto it, but it is recognized on boot.

:(

That explains it! Right click in the 'unallocated'-field, create a partition and format it with NTFS. You can delete the drive letter E: from the system reserved partition before that and assign it to the CD-ROM. All by right clicking in the respective partition.

Solution

jam wan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012
Ahhh, I think you sent me on the right track. I overlooked a few things but now I've partitioned and am formatting. Thank you muchly!

Also I found these useful step-by-step guides to elaborate and ensure I don't muck up.
partition (win 7):
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/partition-hard-drive-windows-7.htm

formating (win 7)
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/format-hard-drive-windows-7.htm

And if you or anyone else can tell me... what exactly is recommended to go on the HDD and the SDD? Should I put like, games + OS on SSD? OR just OS and updates?

Ah, doesn't really matter. Just wondering what some preferences are.

Thanks again!

/solved

1. You installation is a little bit on the critical site, because your bootloader (the system reserved) is on the HDD. Without the HDD will not start windows! As long as you have not installed anything else, I would recommend to reinstall windows. Within the installation process you can delete the existing partitions and reorganize them. It's not mystic anymore, huu? :)
2. you can try to install programs on the HDD, but I recommend to really test them after the installation. Still not all programs are can handle to be not on c: