[SOLVED] Internal Laptop SSD won't show up on any external computer

tallywho

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Never seen this one before, maybe you guys have- New lenovo laptop, with lenovo provided SSD. New install of windows 10 pro setup, boots and works fine. I did not setup it up as an online account its setup as a local account only. when i remove ssd from laptop to plug it in with a usb interface cable, it doesn't show up in the disk-manager at all. I tried 3 different computer, 3 different usb cable interfaces and I have 2 computers that have direct sata cables and sata power coming outside externally from the motherboard to plug into. None of those work either. Tested 4 different hdd's and ssd's and they all work on all above methods. So i put ssd back into lenovo laptop and pop in a windows 10 boot key, go in and delete all partitions to where the ssd says " 235GB un-allocated disk space" There are zero partitions on it now. I pull it out and it still won't be seen on any computer, usb interface or direct sata cables ( and yes i attached them directly on the bench machine and went into bios's on 2 of them and the ssd drive doesn't show up there either.) Im completely stumped. And again the ssd will install and show up in laptop no problem zero issues but can't be seen externally.

Solution
it is a 2.5 SSD and Im pretty sure it just died on me.... now it won't work in the laptop. Must have been a bad drive. Lenovo Samsung 2.5" Solid State Drive SSD 256 drive MZ7TD256HAFV 45N8426 04Y2145 And it no longer shows up in bios. LOL thanks for the reply though
I would say maybe doing something about it with warranty but for a 256gb drive you can just spend $40 on a new 240gb Kingston A400 and call it a day.

tallywho

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Is this a 2.5" ssd?
Or is it an NVME drive?

Can we get the make and model/model number of this drive?

it is a 2.5 SSD and Im pretty sure it just died on me.... now it won't work in the laptop. Must have been a bad drive. Lenovo Samsung 2.5" Solid State Drive SSD 256 drive MZ7TD256HAFV 45N8426 04Y2145 And it no longer shows up in bios. LOL thanks for the reply though

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I would say maybe doing something about it with warranty but for a 256gb drive you can just spend $40 on a new 240gb Kingston A400 and call it a day.

Solution