internal laptop wireless cards

Thor1182

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2003
Looking for a possible replacement to my Aetheros(SP) A+B+G internal wireless card for somehting with better range. It will be communicaitong with a Linksys 54g WAP v2.0
Thanks

I'm a Computer Science and Electrical Engineering Student, not English, nor will I ever claim to be.(Pertains to Grammatical and Spelling ability)

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I assume that Aetheros is a typo and it's really Atheros that you are talking about. If this is true, I think you should stick with it because cards with the Atheros chipset are among the best ones. For example: Cisco, Netgear and Proxim all use the Atheros chipset.

Maybe a PCMCIA card will give you better reception, but in my experience it does not make a noticible difference.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

Thor1182

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2003
I wasn't sure how it was spelled and I couldn't find it spelled out anywhere when I looked htrough the wireless software I had on my ocmputer. This card is a POS, but I hear AW is using a newer verison that works better. I am going to try that one to see if it is any better. But this one will not due.

I'm a Computer Science and Electrical Engineering Student, not English, nor will I ever claim to be.(Pertains to Grammatical and Spelling ability)

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I don't know what AW is.

But I would suggest the Cisco card. They are always the best in all respects: behaviour, sensitivity, user interface ...
If you don't want to spend the extra money for the Cisco, I would go with the Netgear. I was expecting an average card but its actually pretty good, but I did not really test it's sensitivity

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am using DLink G650 on my laptop, awfully HUGE range {you can always return it if you like it not:eek:}

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Thor1182

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2003
AW = Alien Ware

The card I bought initially was a CM6 chipset, the new one thay are selling is a CM9 chipset.

Thor1182

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2003
confused about what?

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
"The card I bought initially was a CM6 chipset, the new one thay are selling is a CM9 chipset."

Both Prism 3.0 I believe. The only primary difference is that the CM9 support "turbo" data rate's. 108 Mbps. If I remember correctly the power output is identical with the unfortunate expection that at the higher signalling rates the output drops to 15 dBm for the CM9 chipset. 18 dBm at the lower signalling rates. 18 dBm at all rates on the CM6 chipset cards.

Receive sensitivity should be identical or very close. Doubt any of that is your problem however. Likely a poor radiator design in the laptop. (antenna) Different chipset wouldn't help that much if their internal antenna design sucks.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thanks, I did not feel like searching for that kind of info. I just know that DLink has better range than others I've tried, probably thanks to its better antenna, and by the way, it does support 108mb with newer drivers, I just don't use it though, 54 is way more than enough for DSL use and file copy from file server sometimes.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

TRENDING THREADS