Question Internal Microphone cannot be selected when other input device is available

rugupiruvu

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
The internal microphone of my Lenovo T440p laptop has got better audio quality than the mic of my cheap headset. Whenever the headset is not plugged in, the internal mic is used, otherwise, the headset mic is used automatically. When I am trying to change the audio source back to the internal mic, I am unable to do so. The sound settings look the same no matter if the headset is plugged in or not. The only input device shown in the settings is "microphone array (Realtek High Definition Audio)". Why can I not see the two mics separately in the settings or in any application?

You should try the Speech Troubleshooter; before you run the Troubleshooter unplug your headphone. Right click on windows symbol (lower left corner) and chose Search> type in Trouble and the Troubleshooter settings app will show up> click on the Troubleshooter app>chose Speech and click on the Run the troubleshooter.
If that does work, go to search and type in Blue, and clue on the Bluetooth and other devices app. Since we can assume the internal mic is not enabled, look to see if there is a microphone under Audio, left click and chose Remove device . Now click "Add Bluetooth or other device" and wait for it to identify your internal microphone. Click on the Microphone and Windows should initialize it. Check to se if the internal mic is now working.

Also check you have the most recent audio driver. Checking the Lenovo web site, the most recent is 6.0.1.8409 https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...pad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t440p/downloads

Last edited:

rugupiruvu

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
I need to clarify that I do not use a Bluetooth headset but rather one that can be plugged in via a single headphone jack. As a result, I cannot see anything audio related in the Bluetooth settings. The Speech Troubleshooter sadly did not find anything. Also, my audio drivers are up to date.

The name of the the location where windows 10 has settings for most devices is called "Bluetooth and other devices", in your case emphasis on "other devices". Most of the devices shown on "Bluetooth and other devices" do not use Bluetooth, it is simply the name of the access location.

Did you try deleting and re configuring your microphone?

rugupiruvu

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
No audio devices are shown in that panel. However, I can see the microphone array in the device manager. There, I uninstalled the mic array and rebooted to reinstall. It did not have an effect.

Go back to the Bluetooth and other devices and click on "Add Bluetooth or other device" and see if it finds your internal microphone. If not, find the blue text on the right side, click on Sound settings. In sound settings there is a Microphone troubleshooter (it may be the same as the Sound troubleshooter but it's worth a try).