Internal SATA hard drive playing up

nikwak

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I will be using my computer and the, for no reason at all, the computer will close down and I get a screen telling me there is no operating system installed, So I go into the Bios and the main hard drive has disappeared. If I then swap the SATA drives around, the drive will re-appear and, after placing it is the main boot drive, the machine will re-open. I have no idea why this is happening but it is starting to get on my nerves now :) Anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this? I'd be so greatful.

nikwak

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Not the first time it has happened. It was happening quite a bit for a month and I decided to replace the power supply, the motherboard and the SATA leads, which I have done and everything was working fine until today and it has started all over again. Had about four weeks of the system behaving itself. Have done a check on the hard drives themselves and they all come up clean. Also, and don't know if this is related, but I also lose USB drives every now and then and have to unplug the USB and plug it into another slot to get it working again. Just had to do that now with the dongle for the wireless keyboard as it suddenly decided to stop working.