Question Internal SATA SSD used as an External SSD = Is TRIM required ?

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
hi, i intend to buy the Kioxia Exceria SATA SSD (960GB) and use it as an external SSD connected to PC via USB connection (no TRIM since it's connected via USB), the SSD has only Idle Time Garbage Collection so will it run out of free space very quickly when i modify/delete old information ?? :unsure:

or i should buy a SSD with Active Garbage Collection ??:unsure:

hi, i intend to buy the Kioxia Exceria SATA SSD (960GB) and use it as an external SSD connected to PC via USB connection (no TRIM since it's connected via USB), the SSD has only Idle Time Garbage Collection so will it run out of free space very quickly when i modify/delete old information ?? :unsure:

My understanding is that GC will work without trim it just won't be as efficient.

USAFRet

Titan

Used for what?

It will almost certainly be fine.

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
I think it will work fine but if your worried about it shop for a ssd with active garbage collection.

Kioxia replied me that the writing would be slower and i won't start running out of free space........i had been using the Crucial MX500 and it has Active Garbage Collection but prices had gone up 40% in my country so looking at the Kioxia as a cheaper alternative

Why can't you connect SSD internally?
Are you using a laptop?

i'm using a desktop but the SATA power cable that came with my PSU is very stiff so not very practical to put it inside the pc...........i had to place my boot drive (also SATA) on top of the PSU housing because of the stiff power cable........

i'm using a desktop but the SATA power cable that came with my PSU is very stiff so not very practical to put it inside the pc...........i had to place my boot drive (also SATA) on top of the PSU housing because of the stiff power cable........
You can use sata power cable extension.

718NURVWxkL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran