Question Internal SSD won't show as boot device unless shut down fully

dan7933

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014
I've been dealing with this issue for a while now, where my Spectrix internal SSD doesn't show as a boot device. Whenever I restart my computer, it will boot back up saying no boot device was found. I will go into the BIOS and look for it, but the device will simply not be there. What I have to do every time is shut down my computer fully, and turn it back on. However, it still doesn't remember it as a default boot device. I have to go into the BIOS, select that as the device I want to boot into, and it'll bring me to my OS. Essentially, I cannot restart my computer and every time I want to get back into Windows, I have to go back into the BIOS.

It's a quite annoying issue, even though it's quite simple amateur security that prevents others from looking around my PC while I'm gone, but I would like to know if this is a common issue with those small on-motherboard SSD's, and if there's a fix. Thank you!

dwd999

Honorable
I've been dealing with this issue for a while now, where my Spectrix internal SSD doesn't show as a boot device. Whenever I restart my computer, it will boot back up saying no boot device was found. I will go into the BIOS and look for it, but the device will simply not be there. What I have to do every time is shut down my computer fully, and turn it back on. However, it still doesn't remember it as a default boot device. I have to go into the BIOS, select that as the device I want to boot into, and it'll bring me to my OS. Essentially, I cannot restart my computer and every time I want to get back into Windows, I have to go back into the BIOS.

It's a quite annoying issue, even though it's quite simple amateur security that prevents others from looking around my PC while I'm gone, but I would like to know if this is a common issue with those small on-motherboard SSD's, and if there's a fix. Thank you!
How old is the battery on the motherboard; does it retain your other bios settings? Perhaps it needs to be replaced? With some motherboards, enabling Virtualization sometimes helps the rebooting process since it flushes the system memory.

ASK THE COMMUNITY