Question Internal usb 3.0 hub breaks gigabyte board

BlueDragonReal

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
I bought this internal pcie usb 3.0 usb hub for my gigabyte b450 gaming x motherboard because my Rift s headset doesn't get enough power through the motherboard usb ports, (that is my theory on why it doesn't work) and after I bought it and inserted it into the system, it booted, but it froze on the gigabyte bios screen and the logo, I thought it was a problem in my motherboard so i grabbed another gigabyte motherboard i used in my previous system and the same thing happend, after that I tried it 1 more time on my brothers MSI board, and it didnt break and it worked perfectly fine? Is there any problem with my gigabyte board or is this something else

Lutfij

Titan
I think the card that you have is having a compatibility issue with your motherboard. The first thing you can try and do is make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. To go about doing that, check and see what BIOS version you're on by going into BIOS and then cross-reference Gigabyte's support site for what BIOS version is on there. If you have updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest.

Also, what other devices are connected to your motherboard? Sometimes lanes are shared across some PCIe slots so that might be what's conflicting with the card/board.

Might want to list your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU: make and model as well as age
Chassis:

include a link to the add-on card you're having trouble with.

How did you deduce that the VR headset wasn't receiving enough power from the USB ports on the motherboard?

BlueDragonReal

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
I think the card that you have is having a compatibility issue with your motherboard. The first thing you can try and do is make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. To go about doing that, check and see what BIOS version you're on by going into BIOS and then cross-reference Gigabyte's support site for what BIOS version is on there. If you have updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest.

Also, what other devices are connected to your motherboard? Sometimes lanes are shared across some PCIe slots so that might be what's conflicting with the card/board.

Might want to list your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU: make and model as well as age
Chassis:

include a link to the add-on card you're having trouble with.

How did you deduce that the VR headset wasn't receiving enough power from the USB ports on the motherboard?
The only other thing connected to the motherboard is the graphics card
The specs are

Motherboard: gigabyte b450 gaming x
Graphics card: palit jetstream gtx 1060
Processor: ryzen 5 3600
Ram: team group delta 16gb (8x2) 3200mhz
Psu: don't remember model but it's a 650W gigabyte 80+ bronze
500gb Kingston m.2 nvme sad
2x 1tb hard drives 72000
And the chassis is a zalman s2

I deducted the rift s problem through the fact that everytime the headsets display lag spikes or after I play for more than 5 minutes it shuts off, black screen but tracking and sound still works, only the screen is black like it doesn't get enough power
I tried every software solution, next best thing is to buy a internal 3.0 usb hub or a new motherboard