Internal USB Plug Broken from new Gaming PC?

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I got new parts and tried to build a gaming PC. However, the system wouldn't boot up so I was trying to unplug everything so I could reassemble it outside the case which, admittedly, I should have done from the beginning. However, when I was attempting to unplug USB 3 cable from the inside of the case, one row of pins got stuck in the plug socket. I can't put the usb plug thingy back on and I am afraid of bending them since they are very bendable and I don't want to break them. What should I do? Should I call for a technician or take it to a shop? Is it possible to buy a new cable or solder a new one? The case and motherboard are brand-new but I didn't enquire about a warranty. Any ideas what to do about that?

Many thanks in advance! :)

My build:

i5 4690k,
Asus H18M-e LGA 1150 motherboard
Radeon HD 7750 (will swap later on with GTX 970)
4gb of DDR3 RAM (will swap later on with 8 gigs since the motherboard only has 2 ram slots)
300 Watt PSU (will swap later on with a 600 watt PSU)
1TB of internal hard-drive (will get SSD later on)
Fractal Design Core 2300 case

Solution
What you are saying doesn't quite make since.

The USB 3.0 header has the pins on the motherboard side, not the cable side.
Thus if you bent or damaged the pins it would be the motherboard and not the cable that needed replaced.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
*Pics or it didn't happen*

Jokes aside, I don't quite get what happened... The USB plug got stuck in the motherboard? And how were you unplugging a USB cable from the inside of the case?

Pictures would really help here.
Or could you explain exactly what is stuck where? USB plugs are made so they can't ever get stuck.

Regards,
Bloc97

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
You will need to register your motherboard on Asus website to activate your warranty. In my dealings with them the have always been fairly reasonable.

To be sure I understand you, do you mean the pins of the motherboard were pulled off and are stuck in the cables connection?

Also, while the HD7750 may only use 55 watts max, a 300 watt power supply is barely enough for your whole system. I recommend at least replacing that before rebuilding.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

While this might be true on paper, my Phenom II x6 + HD 7770 uses 240W in full load under stress.
The TDP of a HD 7750 is 55W, but the SDP is much lower, same for the Intel CPU.

The reason everyone tells to buy a high-wattage PSU is not because they need the power, its more about quality. If you have a top-end 300W entreprise-grade PSU it should be fine even for 400W loads.

Bloc97

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

If the pins are just bent, unbend them carefully with a plastic card. If they were teared off the motherboard, unfortunately you will have to resolder them back or call for a replacement.

Just to be sure, you're talking about this, right?
usb3-620.jpg

Bloc97

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I have been meaning to upgrade my PSU and I will when I use the new graphics card but I can't at the minute and it has run fine since I play games on low/medium settings and mainly older games since I used to have the card in a Dual Core PC.

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
By the way I don't think the pins are bent as I was very careful but what I meant was I am afraid of bending them or that they might have gotten bent. I was trying to plug the cable back in, in the hopes that the pins would reconnect to it but that didn't quite work out.

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

I find it extremely unlikely it is an enterprise grade PSU. The main concern is whether it supplies enough auxiliary power.

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

That is what I am talking about. But how do you upload pictures to this thread? I took snaps of them but don't know how to upload them.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Use an image upload website, and enclose the image file link in the bb-code [img]http://link.png[/img]