Internal video card & external in the same MB

Hi
Can I install an external Video Card in a MotherBoard which has an
internal Video Card? If I can would I free the Momory (RAM) which is
suppose to be shared by the internal video card?? would the internal
vc be disabled once I insert the external VC in the AGP or even in
PCI?

I am asking these question with regard any motherboard which has
internal vc but I am studying this motherboard now (ASRock K7VM4)

http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/K7VM4.htm?categories=1&model=31

Thanks

If you install an AGP card into a system with onboard video, the onboard
will likely be disabled as it is also AGP and you can only have 1 AGP device
active. If you install a PCI graphics card it is likely the onboard would
still work and be useful for a dual monitor setup.

esara <esara123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> Can I install an external Video Card in a MotherBoard which has an
> internal Video Card? If I can would I free the Momory (RAM) which is
> suppose to be shared by the internal video card?? would the internal
> vc be disabled once I insert the external VC in the AGP or even in
> PCI?
>
> I am asking these question with regard any motherboard which has
> internal vc but I am studying this motherboard now (ASRock K7VM4)
>

> http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/K7VM4.htm?categories=1&model=31
>
> Thanks

Howdy!

"esara" <esara123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> Can I install an external Video Card in a MotherBoard which has an
> internal Video Card? If I can would I free the Momory (RAM) which is
> suppose to be shared by the internal video card?? would the internal
> vc be disabled once I insert the external VC in the AGP or even in
> PCI?

It depends on the motherboard and chipset.

> I am asking these question with regard any motherboard which has
> internal vc but I am studying this motherboard now (ASRock K7VM4)
>

> http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/K7VM4.htm?categories=1&model=31

Dunno, but my ASROCK 266A lets me run both motherboard AND AGP or
PCI video boards ...

RwP

esara wrote:
> Hi
> Can I install an external Video Card in a MotherBoard which has an
> internal Video Card?

Like BTH said, if it's a PCI vid card, yes, AGP, no.

> If I can would I free the Momory (RAM) which is
> suppose to be shared by the internal video card??

Onboard is a better way to refer to it, as all video cards are internal.
Yes, the shared system RAM should be freed (unless there's a small
amount reserved that isn't freed up, anyone know?).

> would the internal
> vc be disabled once I insert the external VC in the AGP or even in
> PCI?

AGP: maybe. You'll need to consult your motherboard's manual. Sometimes
you have to change a jumper or set it to disabled in the BIOS.

PCI: no, unless you disable it like I described just above. There's also
sometimes a BIOS setting for the first video to boot from, PCI or AGP,
and you may wish to set this appropriately, too.